Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I figured out that my bike was overheating due to my thermostat. I want to make sure I didn't blow my head gasket.

What are signs of a blown head gasket?

and if it was blown but it seems to run normal, what should I look out for?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
How does your oil look? Is it black or milky?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil was dark but looked normal when I changed it yesterday. The coolant didn't have any signs of oil in there also. I heard talk about little bubbles on a cold start could be a sign. Since I just flushed my coolant I think some of the air bubbles are working their way out still but I am waiting till my bike completely cools to check.

If I am getting bubbles should I not drive the bike?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Smoke? Do you have any abundance of smoke coming from the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Last one would probably be check oil level cold engine off go for a ride, come back turn it off let it settle then look at it again to see if it has moved up from coolant leaking in. Bubbles after a flush are normal, sounds good though. Does the radiator smell at all? Also heard of some blue chemical they can put in your radiator that detects oil, changes to yellow or something like that... T

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I will check the oil out tonight. The radiator didn't smell from what I could tell but I will double check that also. Thanks a bunch!

Lets say worst case my gasket is blown...is it hard to replace?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Nope you can do it with the engine still in the bike, just need the right tools...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I read somewhere if you have hydrocarbons in the coolant, it is a good sign of a blown head gasket or even a cracked head. An auto shop should be able to tell by testing the antifreeze. Google "hydrocarbons in the coolant" and you will find several websites with info ways to determine what the problem may be. This website has some info on troubleshooting. http://autorepairexchange.tribe.net/thread/0f666894-0027-4abf-822e-c897739c7b2e

1 - 9 of 9 Posts