Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I searched a little bit and only found problems that include wiring issues. I dont think that is the case with me though. I'll try to be as descriptive as possible w/o pics.

-When I have the switch in the down position the running light has no problems.

-When I have the switch in the upward position the bright flicks on and off, as well as the blue indicator light on the gauge.

-After messing with it, if I gently press the switch back towards the bottom the bright comes on and stays on. ( its about half of a press, the switch does not fully click or engage the downward, running light position. Think of it as trying to balance the switch between the two functions.)

- During that little toggle the switch remains in the bright position, I just slightly press it down a little and then the brights run normally.

To me this sounds like a dirty contact within the switch... Sound about right or is the switch bad...?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Sounds like a bad contact inside the unit. Pull the switch and check the contacts to see if they are making a good strong connection. T

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Sounds like a bad contact inside the unit. Pull the switch and check the contacts to see if they are making a good strong connection. T
:+1:

you can use some light sand paper to clean up the contacts then add a small amount of dyelectric grease to them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing, i never did anything to fix it i guess it fixed itself.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got a 09 rr/a and it's doing the same thing .... Its a new bike to me and I tried pulling the switch apart removed the one Phillips screw but it seams to be clipped together I didn't want to damage anything any idea how to split the switch ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just pull the control piece off and clean the contacts. Mine did the same thing. Cleaned the contacts and now it works perfectly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
mine did this. the dealer said it just from water and condensation getting in the switch. flip it back and forth a bunch of times and it solves it. my kill switch did this as well and left me stranded one day. so if you dont use your kill switch alot, dont use it at all.

seems like they would come up with a waterproof switch after how many years. i hate to say it, but my yamaha never had this problem. but if this is my biggest complaint about the honda, i guess thats not too bad, huh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine seems to have fixed itself for now will see the next time I wash the bike ... It would be nice if someone chimed in on how to dismantle the swith housing seems to be clipped together after the Phillips screw is removed

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just to add to the topic. My bike was doing this the other night, i flipped the switch about 20 times until it stayed on. For reference, i gave the bike a bath the previous day. The switch is working fine now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
FOR THOSE WHO TRIED CLEANING THE CONTACTS INSIDE THE SWITCH AND STILL NO FIX

The same thing was happening to mine and as I just mentioned, I tried to dismantle and clean the contacts of the switch, but with no success.

I finally followed the problem to the high beam wire that had been slowly cut by the right side fork and the frame.
You have to cut open the wrapping, then reconnect (I used a butt connector) this wire, and tada. Fixed

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had this same problem. I had washed my bike the day before. After flipping it 10 or so times, it started working again.

Seems like its just a silly problem with water getting into the switch as was previously mentioned.

Is there anyway to waterproof the switch? I'd like to wash the bike and ride in the rain without worry...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts