Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research and debate I decided to do this myself. I'm going to buy some used heads to do this on. Can I get any heads from 07-12 for this to work? Any tips or anything I should look out for? I'm not sure how far I'll go on the heads.

Secondly, I have been looking for a motor stand but haven't really come up with anything. Any recommendations on that?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I'm going to buy some used heads to do this on. Can I get any heads from 07-12 for this to work?
I'm assuming you can port/polish any heads. Depends what engine they go in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2012 6RR. I forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As mentioned any experience in this field?

if your going to go through the trouble, why not go ahead and plan to have a supersport valve job, and have the head decked?

Are you just looking at unshrouding valves, cleaning up ports, chambers, did you buy adjustable cam sprockets, as with the change in deck height you will need to degree them in.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
To extract more power from our engines traditional porting methods will not work, real power gains come from RESHAPING the ports, not making them bigger & shiny. The stock intake ports are already too big, the key is intake port velocity, top engine builders actually make the ports smaller to get big power.

Be prepared to spend thousands on parts, equipment, machining, materials, testing & tuning. The path you're about to take is not an easy one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, I started doing more research and found that purchasing aftermarket heads was a cheaper option. Does anyone have recommendations? I have been googling but haven't really came up with many options for places that do\sell these. I found this place but it doesn't mention flow testing:
http://www.danosperformance.com/cylinder_head_porting.htm

I also understand there isn't a lot of tolerance for having the heads decked. I want the ability to also ride this on the street on occasion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts