Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2005 600rr bone stock.
I just bought and installed a used full yoshimura rs-5 system. The system seemed to be in prestine condition so I had no problem buying it used.

After the install I started her up and noticed that there was smoke coming from the header area.

I used new gaskets and everything is bolted up correctly.

The smoke doesnt smell like exhaust smell, it smells more like burning plastic or something like that.

Can someone please tell me if this is normal and will go away after some time or there is something wrong with the system.

Thanks guys,

NimZ

·
Registered
228 Posts
Most likely oil that is burning off. Who knows what could have been spilled on it. You could let it cool and wipe it down. Make sure it's not touching your plastics anywhere. Pretty common place for oil to be spilled is right on the header under the filter.

Reactions: NimZ_RR

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent rode it since the install, so i'm hoping that the excess gunk will burn off as you say and it'll stop smoking.
Im going to ride around a little after work today and hopefully it'll stop smoking.

Ill let you guys know whats going on.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Its the oil burning that is used in making the pipes. It's in the instructions and will smoke until it is all burned off. Completely normal.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
check to see that you mounted it correctly and the plastics... the pipes could be touching a mid section and MELTING it. Thus the reason for the burning smell.

Take a look at it.

Reactions: NimZ_RR

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are no plastics touching the header.

I guess ill ride around a litte and see if it still smokes after that. Hopefully its just burning off the excess crap.

I'll let you guys know what happened after I ride.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
As tripage said its the oil used to make them, I believe it's the lubricant when bending the pipes, totally normal just run the bike like normal and it will burn off or take a rag with brake cleaner and when your pipes are cold wipe them down good let them dry off and you'll be set, congrats on the new system

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all your helpful input. No more smoke and the bike runs great and sounds even better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts