Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to a couple guys today and one of them brought up the subject of headlight modulation. I know a little bit about it, but figured some of you folks out there could help out.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i've seen them on the road, they are very noticable. seems like a good idea to me, anything you can do to help you be seen. i ride with the safety vest the marine base order requires i wear alot of the time i'm on the street. i don't know if it really helps (i have a headlight and a taillight, so who would see the vest and not that?) but every little thing helps out i guess.

·
Registered
87 Posts
on the highway, semis will think you are telling them they are clear to come over....i think you are asking for trouble

·
Registered
353 Posts
I wouldn't mind having that setup. Friend w/ a g'wing has it and its very noticable

·
Registered
647 Posts
Are there any kind of laws against them. On the other hand maybe get an insurance discount for having it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get one that will pulsate the high beam when both lights are on. Or you can do it another way where it works on the low. High is easier since you can turn it off and the pattern is wider.
It is not illegal to have them. Here is the law for all 50 states.

Modulators are legal in all fifty states. Below you will find the federal Mandate which makes modulators legal. No state can override the federal law, and therefore any motorcycle can modulate their headlights, provided they follow the federal guidelines. Kisan modulators meets or exceed the federal standards.

Federal Motor Vehicle Standards

Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
49 CFR Parts 571
[Docket No. 97-57; Notice 1]
Executive Order 12866

Motorcycle Headlamp Modulation System

s7.9.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to either the upper or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity provided that:
(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 +/- 40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle
(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17% of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power feed of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and the upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to the horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light . . . . less then 270 lux.

Partial reprint of:
Federal Registar: Feb. 21 1996 (Volume 61 No. 35)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts