Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 600RR and the headlight and high beam both blew. I checked the fuse for the headlights and it's fine. I replaced just the headlight bulb and when I turned the bike on (just electrics didn't start it) it came on fine no issues. I turned it off and on a couple times and every time the light turned on. I decided to take it for a short drive in daylight to see if it would stay. Sure enough when I get back home and take a look the light is out so I pull the bulb out and it's blown again. I wasn't touching the bulb with my hands so that's not the issue either. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
Check the Black pronge that holds the bulb itself one of its terminals is loose
and causes a short in the current flow which in turn blows out the bulb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it seems too coincidental that both would become loose at exactly the same time? Both bulbs blew at the same time first the low beam and then when I went to switch to high it flickered on and then blew. And the connections on the prongs seem to be good and tight.

D

·
0 Posts
Check for an issue in the light cluster. You could have a short in the high/low select switch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
sounds like it may be absorbing some vibration, the bulbs in our lights dont like to be shaken. Both of my headlights blew the first month I had my bike and it was brand new. hell try checking the mounts, I dont know how the 03s are mounted but they could be taking a beating.

D

·
0 Posts
When you're installing the bulbs, are you touching the glass with your fingers? If so, install some new bulbs without doing so. Oil on our finger tips will create hot spots and burn up filament.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
What is the temp where you live? bulbs have less resistance in their filament when it is cold and are more likely to blow because more electricity is flowing through. Have you ever noticed how bulbs in fixtures controlled by a dimmer switch sometimes last longer? because they start on lower vots/amps.

Soft starts extend the life of bulbs. Check your battery voltage, and/or see how many volts are getting to the bulb.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Well it seems too coincidental that both would become loose at exactly the same time? Both bulbs blew at the same time first the low beam and then when I went to switch to high it flickered on and then blew. And the connections on the prongs seem to be good and tight.
Both headlights are connected to the same ground. Even if it's shorted, your fuse should have blown first, that's the purpose of having a fuse. Double check the headlight connectors, they may look like they're fine, until you pull it apart and see they're right next to each other. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Your regulator may have failed. It will cause higher than normal voltages in the electrical system and your bulbs will fail as a result.

The reason that it didn't blow when you first started the bike up is that at idle and low rpm the alternator is not putting out a high enough voltage, however as soon as you took it for a ride the voltage would have spiked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts