Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like my highbeam headlight is melting. I dont know what could have caused this. I normally run with my highbeams on all the time because I like to have two lights instead of one. Anyone else have this problem??

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
If you aren't the original owner of the bike, I'd verify the previous owner didn't drop in a higher wattage bulb than is spec'd.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not the first owner but the original didnt do anything to this bike. Completely stock when I got it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Like Phoenix said it could be a higher wattage bulb and you might not even know it. Gets me kinda worried cause I roll with my Highs on all the time too....have been for about 5 months and havent seen anything yet but ill be checking now

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Which part of the head light has melted ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the front lens. I'll post some pics in the morning.

·
AMA Supersport Racer ** BOTM 08/10 **
1,838 Posts
I've noticed mines are starting to get a little blurry,both sides. I'm using HID's.
I wouldn't say melting.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
I've noticed mines are starting to get a little blurry,both sides. I'm using HID's.
I wouldn't say melting.
My low beam is developing the same condition that haze can be cleaned off
but its a pain in the butt to get to it

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
If you have HIDs then it is more than likely happening at an accelerated rate due to the large quantities of UV light that come out of them... HID globes and projectors aren't UV cut like incandescent ones are...

You can use prepsol to clean them back up though...

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
The problem is not finding the chemicals to clean it its getting to that backside of the lens
to clean that residue off that is the hard part

·
Registered
164 Posts
I developed a haze on my low beam, and I eventually opened up the headlight housing and cleaned the inner lens really good. So far, so good. I'm using 35w HID's btw.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
I developed a haze on my low beam, and I eventually opened up the headlight housing and cleaned the inner lens really good. So far, so good. I'm using 35w HID's btw.
How did you take the housig off did you use the oven trick or what procedure
did you follow ? and how did you seal it back ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
How did you take the housig off did you use the oven trick or what procedure
did you follow ? and how did you seal it back ?
I used a heat gun on a low setting, and just took my time prying small sections apart at a time. It actually took a bit of elbow grease & some rubbing compound on the inside lens to get the haze to go away. I used some silicone to seal the housing when i put it back together. It would have been great to not have to open the housing, but I don't know of any other way...

Reactions: Moeman

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
I used a heat gun on a low setting, and just took my time prying small sections apart at a time. It actually took a bit of elbow grease & some rubbing compound on the inside lens to get the haze to go away. I used some silicone to seal the housing when i put it back together. It would have been great to not have to open the housing, but I don't know of any other way...

Thanks man for the info i know there is no other way to do the job

1 - 14 of 14 Posts