Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm rebuilding my bike and just got in my headlight sockets and wanted to test them out and everything. So I plug in the bulb and the bike won't turn on then I remove it and it come on. So when the bike is on and you plug in a bulb the bike cuts off everything as if you just cut the battery cabls.

The bike was in a 130mph collision with a wall but the front sub harness didn't seem to have any real damage.
I've replaced all 4 relays and everything works at this point other than the 3 headlights. Even if you plug in the little center one it cuts off. And the tail light is aftermarket integrated and it works. Bike runs and rides great other than this.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Multi meter and check the power/grounds to the headlight/3rd light and make sure they are all good. I would check your yellow ground block to make sure nothing is burnt out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so the yellow groung block has a wire that's looks to be cooked well done. Nice and brown and everything else is normal yellow. When I touch that wire only and the spot where 3 grounds come together before the three lights the multi meter zeroes out so I'm guessing that that is the ground wire for the headlights.
Does this mean my ground is bad or that something else is causing that ground to cook like that?

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
The wire is cooked means it's not grounded after all cause if it was then no power should be flowing thru it unless there is a short somewhere in that circuit and that short flows thru the ground wire to protect such circuit

In other words
The ground wire is the return path for unused current. The ground wire is an additional path for electrical current to return safely to ground without danger to any electrical component in the event of a short circuit. In that instant, the short would cause the current to flow through the ground wire, causing a fuse to blow instead of frying every component working off that circuit

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Touch that to ground and check your bulb and you should be fine. As Moe stated.

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
Check the stop / kill switch connections cause they can affect flow of current to the low beam head light a loose connection in that housing has affected the flow of current to the low beam head light which might be the reason to that short .

Another part to check is the black plastic socket that holds the head light bulb itself in the 03 to 06 RR it has been a common problem that a short in such socket can occur easily pull the socket off & check both of its prongs for being loose or burn signs if you see any of these signs replace that socket it sells for about five bucks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't quite understand what you mean by touch that wire to ground...
But I did some more messing about and found that if I press the horn I get the same result of the bike cutting off.
I checked the switch and all looked well and tight. Could it be anything else to check? Also the sockets for all the lights are new even the little wire harness for the middle bulb

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait a minute!!! Yes I reomoved that wire from the block and held it against the sub frame and the light works.
So how would I be able to get this to ground with out having to rig that wire onto the frame somehow? Would it be the wire at fault or the block or is it something else?

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
The Bikes main ground connection is on the left side of the bike's frame check it and make sure it's a solid connection . Might as well check the head light relay , fuse . Check out this thread link lots of great effective info about head light gremlins http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034&page=1

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
Check the grounding connector on the left side of your bike hidden by the rear seat cowl. There are a bunch of green wires going to the same connector, make sure they're not loose or burnt. If you have 2005-2006 generation, it's on the left hand side sitting on the bike.

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
Because of the short man that is proof of an electrical spark

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
Not the starter button open the housing for the kill switch and check the kill switch connections if you read the thread link I posted there is enough info to help you thru that process . I would suggest for you to buy a multimeter if you do not have one already comes really handy with solving electrical issues like the one you are dealing with now

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Use the meter to check polarity/continuity. You can check for grounds/power and make sure it's working. It will save you tons of time. If you have a nick in the wire and it's grounding on something the wire being tight won't tell you this. If you know it should have power and it's grounding on something causing a short the meter will tell you this.

For the wire that is messed up on the yellow block, you can ground it to another one of the green wires or you can run it to the frame with a single hole attached to a bolt on the frame.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts