Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was googling around and found this on cycleforums:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/BillStages.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=SB506

Here's the original post:
http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301155

In short:

"(a)An operator on a roadway divided into two or more
clearly marked lanes for traffic:
(1)shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within
a single lane, except as provided by Subsection (e); and
(2)may not move from the lane unless that movement can
be made safely.
(e)The operator of a motorcycle may operate the motorcycle
for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in the same
direction during periods of traffic congestion if:
(1)notwithstanding Section 661.003(c), the operator
and any passenger wear protective headgear that meets the safety
standards adopted by the department; and
(2)the operator operates the motorcycle:
(A)at a speed not more than five miles per hour
greater than the speed of the other traffic;
(B)in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20
miles per hour or less; and
(C)in a location other than a school crossing
zone or a location where the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour
or less."
Now if that gets passed, we should lobby for other states!:toothy4:
Keep watching the first link for updates on this bill.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Someone posted this quite a long time ago on the Texas forum. I'm pretty sure the bill didn't pass, unless it's been reintroduced, or I was misinformed....

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I can't imagine not being able to lane split. For those in LA imagine sitting in PCH North traffic on a Sunday afternoon, who would go to the Rock Store? Or sitting in freeway traffic period.

Sucks for you guys in the other 49 states.

·
Registered
667 Posts
In FL u can't... My buddy got a ticket..

That's good. It's dangerous. I don't know why states allow it. Maybe if traffic was at a dead stop, sure... But, that's not the only time they split two cars going down the highway. It just breeds bad behaviour. Can't tell you how many times in California I've almost hit a biker lane splitting in moving traffic. I try to consciously drive in the left of my lane to accomodate these idiots.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
That's good. It's dangerous. I don't know why states allow it. Maybe if traffic was at a dead stop, sure... But, that's not the only time they split two cars going down the highway. It just breeds bad behaviour. Can't tell you how many times in California I've almost hit a biker lane splitting in moving traffic. I try to consciously drive in the left of my lane to accomodate these idiots.
Maybe it is dangerous to some degree, but I'll take that chance over coming to a dead stop and not worried about some idiot driving behind me couldn't brake in time. Seriously, how many times have you seen cars stopping in the emergency lane because they didn't stop in time? And how many times do you see accident from being rear ended compare to lane splitting accident? Remember, this is a stop and go scenario. At one point, you're speeding up so quick and then slow down to a stop at the next second. You got to understand that most of these people are either half sleepy coming home from work, texting, and painting their nails.

It's dangerous if you see traffic jams ahead while still going 70 mph down the freeway thinking, "Oh I can just lane split," not knowing the car to the right WILL swerve to the left at last minute since the left lane flows faster. I've seen it all the times and I'm prepared for it. I let the pace of both left and right lane to settle before I proceed, and yes, the safest part of lane splitting is when you see 2 cars side by side knowing that none of them will swerve unexpectedly.

I'm not saying I'm a pro at lane splitting, but I'm certain that it's better than getting stuck in traffic waiting for a rear end to happen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ive almost hit a lane splitter twice driving from the ATL airport pretty much at the same spot each time. I was going ~75ish, not knowing about them til I hear them, which is about a second before they go past me. I would say they were going atleast 100. Seemed stupid considering there were open lanes next to me...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sitting in traffic can be dangerous also!! Ever been nearly rear ended? Ever have someone try and come into your lane in heavy traffic because all they saw was a empty space? Ever been cut off in traffic? Getting the bike to the front of traffic is safer for the bike. Think about it, instead of battleing the cages, you go to the front of the line at the light and when the light turns green you take off away from the traffic.

Lane splitting within the confines of the law is not dangerous. I split every day on my commute, mostly while the other cars are stopped at a light and I move to the front of 70 to a hundred cars. How is a car going to not see you and change lanes right in your path if he is stopped and there is another car stopped on both sides of him? The law is there to keep guys from getting rear ended and to keep air cooled bike from over heating. The law used to be worded similar to the purposed Texas law but according to my MSF instructor the law was changed to delete the not faster than 5 miles an hour than traffic part.

When you almost hit a lane splitter who is doing it at a safe speed, most likely it is because you aren't paying attention and checking your mirrors.

When the guy splitting at 100 passed you he was obviously not in the confines of the law. The safety of the lane split is at the discretion of the cop who sees you do it. Most have told me that, on surface streets they want to see you back in line with the cages once you are moving fast enough to need second gear. And on the freeway they want you back in line once the traffic is moving freely.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you guys are going about it the wrong way, this law is meant to ease the flow of traffic, particularly in congested situations. I agree that bikers shouldn't lane split when there is no congestion, but when it comes to those times that you are dead stopped on the highway? Come on...
Also check out: http://www.laneshare.org

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well said, sweetaw

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sitting in traffic can be dangerous also!! Ever been nearly rear ended? Ever have someone try and come into your lane in heavy traffic because all they saw was a empty space? Ever been cut off in traffic? Getting the bike to the front of traffic is safer for the bike. Think about it, instead of battleing the cages, you go to the front of the line at the light and when the light turns green you take off away from the traffic.

Lane splitting within the confines of the law is not dangerous. I split every day on my commute, mostly while the other cars are stopped at a light and I move to the front of 70 to a hundred cars. How is a car going to not see you and change lanes right in your path if he is stopped and there is another car stopped on both sides of him? The law is there to keep guys from getting rear ended and to keep air cooled bike from over heating. The law used to be worded similar to the purposed Texas law but according to my MSF instructor the law was changed to delete the not faster than 5 miles an hour than traffic part.

When you almost hit a lane splitter who is doing it at a safe speed, most likely it is because you aren't paying attention and checking your mirrors.

When the guy splitting at 100 passed you he was obviously not in the confines of the law. The safety of the lane split is at the discretion of the cop who sees you do it. Most have told me that, on surface streets they want to see you back in line with the cages once you are moving fast enough to need second gear. And on the freeway they want you back in line once the traffic is moving freely.

very very well said! I wish florida was like that! 95 out humidity up to 100 % and in gear..... with the engine burning at your thighs = no fun for me!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I don't lane split when the traffic speed is at 45+. I hope it passes for Texas people. We're doing the environment a favor considering how many cars out there emit carbon dioxide, and hopefully, we'll get something in return.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
WOOHOOO! I hope this passes. I HATE sitting in bumper-to- bumper on I-35. With full gear on and 105 [email protected] THAT. Can you say heat stroke?

Fingers crossed here people.

MP

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Well, at least we don't have uber restrictive inspection and environMENTAL laws..... :)
After inspection you can mod to your hearts content, we don't smog bikes. There are even guys in the canyons with 2 strokes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have lived in Houston and just recently moved from Dallas.

Although I like the idea, folks drive way too crazy as it is in Texas for me to try this.
Plus half the folks drive with no insurance at that. I know people say LA folks drive bad but if you have been to ouston & Dallas there is a whole different type of driving going on down there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts