Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there one heat wrap better than another? i needa replace mine and not exactly sure which to get. thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
397 Posts
why does it need replacing?

Personally i like wide (2") and thick stuff cause its easy to wrap and i only have to do one layer. Its all ~the same. Colored wrap eventually turns white'ish. My black wrap is dark grey after 10k in a year.

Wrap it wet. etc etc.

edit in support of ckalous422 - the stuff made from pumice (not actually titanium nor carbon fiber) is much better than the fiberglass based stuff. i wonder how it handles discoloration over time..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I agree go 2" wrap, people say wil smaller diameter pipes use smaller widths but that's horse crap... I use a "titanium" it's actually lava rock or some shyt like that that is pulverized and spun into thread, it's very maluable, you don't need to soak it before applying and I think it kinda has a carbon fiber look to it so it's pretty cool but as far as brands they're all just about the same

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im replacing cuz i jus put a new fairing kit on mine. My fairing kit sits too close to the pipes and is turning it brown :( i put a heat shield which doesnt seem to help. I had a buddy tell me to double wrap it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
since we're on the topic, have any of you noticed any change in performance with the heat wraps on your pipe? I only ask because ive heard that due to the insulated heat they provide, they keep the exiting gasses hotter than normal allowing them to leave the exhaust system faster. is this true? seems logical

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
faster? no probably not. The engine is still operating the same which would make the exhaust be forced to leave the pipe at the same speed.

Hotter, yes most likely

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Being the wrap insulates the pipes it does keep the heat inside better whic in turn doesn't allow the gases to lose as much heat so the gases are less dense in turn creating less back pressure so hypothetically yes you will have an increase in performance but you most likely will never notice it... The main reason I wrapped my pipes was just to keep the heat off my ass and leg near the the pipe, if I do get more performance then that's just a bonus for me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts