Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so during my last playtime, i changed to water wetter and distilled water. well today my bike was heating up to 225 in the evening and i WASNT riding hard.

i checked the system thinking i had missed an air bubble, but no, its FULL. THIS is my guess and question to you guys who know about water wetter:

instead of adding the 3 capfuls, i added 5 to "make sure". i call it an overdose, but i used to do it to my car and it ran fine. do u guys know if thats and issue or if anything else could be the problem. every ran fine b4 the change.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you are certain that you have totally bleed all air from the system and you see higher running temperatures, one suggestion is to check your reserve tank. Is there any solid residue etc and is the coolant murky? If yes, it could be that your coolant flushing was not done completely and the debris loosen and suspended from the inital flush have jammed up your coolant pump a little. Seen this alot on poorly maintained bikes. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks but ya its all fine. the bike is well taken care of. i just realized however that i have 3.4 quarts of liquid in the system and so my 5 cap fulls of water wetter were far too little. so i added 5 more and will burp it in like 6 hours when iits 10 am... till then i should probably sleep haha.

this solution tho is backwards to me. water is the best, so if i had too little water wetter, it shouldby definition be cooler, just wouldnt havae the protection. so im confused, ill see how its runs tomorrow.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,876 Posts
coolant (ethylene glycol) also acts as a lubricant for the waterpump oil seals so it stays soft & pliable preventing any leaks, running pure water may be best for thermal management but the oil seal will lose it's primary source of lubrication & the oil seal will harden up & spring a leak entering the waterpump through the mainshaft which is not a good thing.

you'll also lose corrosion protection which ethylene glycol can provide so your cooling system will be more prone to clogging due to debris from corrosion.

Motul Motocool Factory line coolant is what i can recommend, it's FIM approved for racing & can be used straight from the bottle as it is already premixed.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
probably air in the system. It's a pretty common problem and the system has it's own air bleed... just run the engine for a bit, shut it off, and check the coolant level, you will probably need to add more. this process will repeat even after you take the bike out the first couple of times you might still have a little bit of air in the system. Just pop the radiator cap when it's cool and see how it looks... add coolant from there if you can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.