Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a helmets brand make a difference? I know they all are different from design to air vents ect ect but they all do the same thing if and when an accident should occur. The reason I ask is because I have heard a lot of people bad mouth bell helmets. They never say why they just make jokes about them being available at wal mart.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
All helmets have to pass the same DOT standards so it all comes down to fit and preference

OLD Bells suck but now that Bell bought back the namebrand rights they are good....

Try some on , ITS ALL about fit.

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
All helmets have to pass the same DOT standards so it all comes down to fit and preference

OLD Bells suck but now that Bell bought back the namebrand rights they are good....

Try some on , ITS ALL about fit.
there are some off brand helmets like the ones from western powersports (supplier) and don't get a wal-mart helmet. HJC sucks.

Look at ICON, ARAI, Bell star, and idk anything else off the top of my head.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, a buddy of mine gave me a new fulmer helmet the other day. He was all gun-ho about getting a 2011 r1 that he started buying gear, a few weeks ago he backed down from the deal and was left with all his gear and no bike. I did some work to his t/a and needless to say took the helmet as partial payment. Wish he would have bought a jacket I would have taken that as the remainer payment too!!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Arai's where rated top this year (i ride the Corsair V which is the race model and love it). Right behind the Arai was the top end Shoei. Cannot go wrong with either but yes GET A GOOD HELMET!!!! They make a massive difference based on thickness, padding, lining, and coverage. The airvents are only an addon for your comfort. I rode with crappy helmets and can say i felt a difference on the first ride. I felt soo much safer and even the bike sounded different because of how silent it is due to the safety features. Helmet is priority 1 dont cheap out and risk youre life. Also get Snell/DOT approved helmets....means high impact and high speed i think (any confirmers?) If they're outta your price range go with a cheaper shoei, shark (but the screen is very close to your face with many...just cut different try one on first), AGV is also very nice (gp riders like Rossi ride these so thats gud enough for me). Dont recommend Scorpion. They look cool and get the job done on low speed crashes i guess but not near the same quality...i wanted one but did my research

·
Registered
607 Posts
Brand huh? Shark's high end helmet like RSR2 and RSI and etc are great helmets. I crashed in Shark RSR2, and I didn't even know my head hit the ground. Shoei RF1100 is one of the most comfortable helmets I have tried on. Bell Star with Snell 2010 is also a great helmet with its shell made of strong composites. Bell Vortex and Scorpion EXO700 are the best bang for buck helmets, you can't find a better quality helmet for that price point.
Like the guy above said, find the one that fits you best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought an Arai Corsair V and couldn't be happier. I can't speak to any other helmets as I have never ridden with any others. What I can say is the Arai fits my head perfectly which is very important, no pressure points at all. It weighs next to nothing. The air flow through the vents is incredible, it is comfortable in 90 weather as long as there is air flowing. Even at above highway speed limits I can turn my head to check over my shoulder and the wind won't pull at it's side profile the way I have heard other helmets will.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It does not make much of a difference in helmet brands. What matters the most to survive the crash is the head size and shape and legal safety approval. All helmets should approve by DOT, ECE, or Snell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts