Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the past week two different people have droppe my helmet from at least 3 feet onto tile. Is the helmet still durable enough for a fall? I've always heard that if you drop them from a certain height then they lose their strenghth in any future fall. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
It's possible that it did damage the inner liner. It's only styrofoam. You can have the helmet examined by the manufacturer but sometimes it's cheaper just to buy another helmet.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
helmet is good for one drop i always say. hard to tell from just reading your post, but i wouldn't trust a helmet if it falls from say... my shoulder.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Motorcyclist magazine did a huge deal about this subject once. Needless to say, the results really pissed off the SNELL people, because it more or less defied what they have been telling us all these years.

·
Registered
888 Posts
when i took the msf course the instructor told us that if your helmet drops from the seat of your bike, its time to get a new one
also its a good excuse to get yourself a brand new helmet w/ new graphics
whoohoo!!!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
ItzBACON said:
Motorcyclist magazine did a huge deal about this subject once. Needless to say, the results really pissed off the SNELL people, because it more or less defied what they have been telling us all these years.
Wow that gave no information what so ever haha.

Please tell... what did motorcyclist mag conclude and what has SNELL been telling everyone?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The drops werent too high but the reason I'm concerned is because it was dropped by two other careless people so I was trying to find enough info to try and make them pay for a new helmet.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Generally any drop will affect the integrity of the helmet. If you drop it directly on the crown, write it off and get a new one. An Arai rep told me that this is the most vulnerable spot on the helmet.

Depending on where else and how high up it dropped from, you can keep wearing it. As a rule I'd say two or three drops and it's time to get a new helmet even if there isn't visible damage. And like other people said, you can always send it in to the manufacturer for them to check out. I know both Arai and Shoei will assess your helmet for free - all you have to do is pay for shipping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.