Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at BTO a few weeks back, and on the way home, I guess I pushed my bike a bit too hard. A HUGE puff of smoke came out of my exhaust (riders behind me said they couldnt see anything, not even my brakelights.), and my bike started to lose power. Stopped on the side, took off the side fairing, and lo and behold, my oil was lower than it should have been. (Preventative maintenance, I know.) Bike wouldnt turn over and was hot hot after first, so we let it cool down. Had someone ride and get oil, and when he got back, it was sufficiently cool. Put some oil in, and coolant for good measure, and it started right up. Every second, and when I revved, there was smoke. White if I remember correctly. My oil cap smells like gasoline. Bike runs, even revs, so nothing is welded or too cooked (I think.) But then we saw the oil puddle on the ground. Here is where I get lost. Ill post pictures of where it was leaking from, and can provide a video of what it looks like at idle.

Looking to do a rebuild if possible, does anyone have an diagnostics or advice? Greatly appriciated. I've done a few head gaskets on cars, which is primarily what I wrench on when needed. Havent done any extensive bike work.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
more info how many miles. valves and all general maintenance done on time? coolant, oil

what year looks like 07+ where exactly is the oil coming from clean it with kerosene and find where its coming from

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
are you still driving it? Iif so how many miles? has it ever been repaired or put down before

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more info how many miles. valves and all general maintenance done on time? coolant, oil

what year looks like 07+ where exactly is the oil coming from clean it with kerosene and find where its coming from
16k miles, and when should they have been done? I've had her for three years, by only put around 2000 miles. This year, I put the majority of this on actually. Bought it and didnt have any time to ride, and summers in washington are short. Coolant had a little in when f airings were off, and oil was changed less than 1000 ago, so I assumed it was good. I was wrong, when we chexked on the side of the road, oil was very low. But no leaks on the pavement all year long.
2004 is the year. And will do, ill pick up some kerosene t omorrow. It looks like its coming right where the exhaust meets the headers, as the header pipes have no oil on thrm, but the pipes where the exhaust meets does.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you still driving it? Iif so how many miles? has it ever been repaired or put down before
I am not driving it. It leaked a quart of oil in less than three mins haha. I trailered it home. And it was put down by the previous owner in a parking lot. I've pushed it harder before, and nothing like this or even close happened. As far as I know, not repaired, because nothing major happened to her

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
you should pull the headers and see if there filled with oil its super easy to do. i think its a 10 or 12mm.. 8 of them and one bolt that goes into the frame..

cracked block or blowing ring come to mind

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you should pull the headers and see if there filled with oil its super easy to do. i think its a 10 or 12mm.. 8 of them and one bolt that goes into the frame..

cracked block or blowing ring come to mind
Hey will do! Thank you sir!
Any insight on how easy either of those are, or of it IS a cracked block, should I just look for another engine?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Leak down test, chemical tk test, compression test

Reactions: Ldn

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/no-sweat-method-leak-detection-motorcycle-engines-and-drives

Oil leak test

No Sweat METHOD OF LEAK DETECTION FOR MOTORCYCLE ENGINES AND DRIVES

Spray deodorant lends itself to an inexpensive and easy way to track down fluid leaks on motorcycle (and other) engines, transmissions, and drive units.

Troubled by embarrassing wetness? Unlike personal hygiene issues, which are easily rectified, chasing down an oil leak, whether it be from the engine, transmission or rear drive, can be a real hassle. Vibration, heat and airflow tend to smear the oil all over the place, which complicates finding the source of the leak, especially if it's a relatively small one.

Professional wrenches have access to leak detection kits that use dye and a black light to pinpoint the gusher, but those aren't something the average Joe generally has floating around in his medicine cabinet.
On the other hand, aerosol deodorants usually are, particularly if Joe is well groomed, and in a pinch they make a very passable leak detector.
Here's the drill.
1. Wash away the oil slick.
2. Take the bike for a ride, making sure it gets good and warm.
3. Spray the suspected area of the leak with a powder-type deodorant (my personal favorite is Arrid Extra Dry).
The deodorant will leave a chalky white, easily removed coating on the surface, with the outline of the oil track clearly revealed. A little detective work should lead you right to the spring. The only trick is to make sure you use a powder-type spray; the clear stuff won't work, and obviously neither will a roll-on! Not only will your bike lose that embarrassing wetness, it'll smell fresh as a daisy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts