Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 04 cbr600RR w/ 3,500 miles

so i was pretty sure i had a "infamous" rectifier/regulator problem. the battery will die if i try to start it when the bike is hot. i.e. getting gas. bike is real hot , shut it off to get gas and go to start back up and it dies. or going into a store for a few mins. i thought it was the regultor. i ordered one, put it on this morning. bike started fine checked voltage at idle and reving. all good. drove it around town for 10 mins and while i was cruising i go to shift and the battery dies as i pull in the clutch. so i coasted to a stop and i couldnt start it. battery just died. im going nuts with this thing
i get it back home in a pick up truck. the battery reads 12.4 volts but wont start. it cranks once and it just clicks and dies.
so i have replaced the regulator, i had the bike on a battery tender the past few days so it was fully charged, and since the battery is reading 12v i dunno if its the battery or something else like a fuse or something.
i would appreciate any help! its driving me crazy and its a huge pain in the ass.
thanks!

·
Registered
901 Posts
i have a 04 cbr600RR w/ 3,500 miles

so i was pretty sure i had a "infamous" rectifier/regulator problem. the battery will die if i try to start it when the bike is hot. i.e. getting gas. bike is real hot , shut it off to get gas and go to start back up and it dies. or going into a store for a few mins. i thought it was the regultor. i ordered one, put it on this morning. bike started fine checked voltage at idle and reving. all good. drove it around town for 10 mins and while i was cruising i go to shift and the battery dies as i pull in the clutch. so i coasted to a stop and i couldnt start it. battery just died. im going nuts with this thing
i get it back home in a pick up truck. the battery reads 12.4 volts but wont start. it cranks once and it just clicks and dies.
so i have replaced the regulator, i had the bike on a battery tender the past few days so it was fully charged, and since the battery is reading 12v i dunno if its the battery or something else like a fuse or something.
i would appreciate any help! its driving me crazy and its a huge pain in the ass.
thanks!

because a battery test 12 volts dose not mean its good it could be failing as you put a load on it . take the battery to pep boys or some where and have them load test it . also if you had the regulator problem it over charges the battery and can cause the plates in the battery to separate thats what causes the problem with starting when its hot .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
because a battery test 12 volts dose not mean its good it could be failing as you put a load on it . take the battery to pep boys or some where and have them load test it . also if you had the regulator problem it over charges the battery and can cause the plates in the battery to separate thats what causes the problem with starting when its hot .
awesome info, thanks.i was thinking that, i read on cbrforums that u can load test a battery by opening the thottle and letting it crank for 10 seconds. and if it goes below 10v then its bad, but i know the wont last 10 secs of cranking. it will die b4 that.

·
Registered
901 Posts
there could be 12 volts but no amps you may see it drop voltage you may not . load tester is the only way to be sure

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea thanks guys, i had the voltmeter on it today with the key off it reads 12v and key in the on position just turning on the lights and gauges it went to 7.5v

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*** i am still having this problem, i have installed a new battery and regulator. this is literally driving me insane. i cant even ride it anywhere . the bike starts fine drives fine. but after i drive it and it gets hot. soon as i shut it off it wont start back up itll click then die. as in doesnt even try to crank and the lights and guages go off. but soon as i let the crank button go everything comes back on. push the button in to try to start , same thing. :( please if anyone has any info

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Ok, then your prolly having a charging issue still. The system is pretty simple. You have the stator which is just a coil of wires with the magneto spinning around it generating power. Then goes to the regulator which regulates the voltage from being too high. Then to the battery.

There's a check to see if the stator is within spec. I'll have to look at my manual to get the range that it should be in. It's just a resistance reading that will varify that the coils are not shorted or anything. Then next is the output voltage of the regulator at a certain RPM. I'll have to look that up also.

Lastly, you could have something hooked up that is drawing too much juice from the bike. Unless you have like 5 headlights all on at the same time or even an alarm that is wired incorrectly or malfunctioning. If there's nothing like that, then you'll need to do some further checking of the charging system.

These problems suck cause they're a bit tough to troubleshoot. Don't worry, we'll get you going.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a led integrated taillight,. i didnt put a resistor or anything in it. do u think that could be it? i have regular stock headlights and everything else.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm having the same problem. It's restricting my mobility.

·
Registered
901 Posts
test your ground wire to your starter and block for higher than normal resistance when its hot .. if its not that them im lost id need to play with it in person to get you an answer .

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Here's what the book talks about.
Current leakage. Says that you shouldn't have more than 2.0mA of current draw with the bike off.
Remove one connector from the battery, then put an amp meter between the connector and the battery. Lets say you unhook the neg. Put the neg lead of your meter on neg of battery and pos lead of the meter on the black wire.

Checking the stator, you should have .1 to 1 ohm between any 2 of the 3 yellow wires. And chack each yellow wire to the green ground wires. You should have an infinite reading.

Last charging voltage. Measure the battery voltage with the bike off. Lets say 12.8V. Then at 5K RPMs, the voltage should read more than 12.8 but less than 15.5

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Let us know how it turns out, you have my curiosity peaked!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
to check the stator all 3 of my yellow wires read .001
the batt reads 12.8 off, and at idle 13.8
i tried to do the leakage test it read 0.00, not positive if i had it on the right setting. pretty sure tho.... :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i started checking all the fuses,. the ones on the side of the bike are fine., but i dont know if its the main fuse or what. but the 20amp under the seat, the fusible link part was fine, the part that usually breaks. but the 2 prongs that plug into. they were kinda burnt. would this this have any effect? and do u know what fuse this is for? im gunna try to get a book this weekend. im just asking for a heads up. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i replaced the starter with a brand new one. this problem is still happening! i dont know what else to try. please help its draining my pockets and the summers almost over and ive only put 700 miles on my bike this year cuz all i do is try to fix this problem!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts