Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i found a guy selling is 2003 600rr for $4500 or OBO. This is going to be the first bike i ever buy so i dont know how to approach it. I want to negotiate a price since most guys are willing to go lower. What would be reasonable to offer? Thanks again.

his post below. http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/1024976450.html

BLACK
2003 CBR600RR
12,335 miles
Good condition
$4,500 OBO

·
Registered
73 Posts
sounds a bit on the high side just take into consideration the economy right now and how hard up cash is.. bring cash and im sure he would take 4K

·
Registered
73 Posts
another good aproach put 4800$ in your pocket give 200$ to your friend crazy low ball him give him the speel its cash money show him the huge wad of 4800$ if he says no ask your friend hey can i borrow a few$ he says sorry i only have 200$ then ask him can we make a deal something along the lines of that always works

·
Registered
655 Posts
I think sometimes riders can be a bit too "happy" with their spending and dig deeper into their pockets so they can have it now, now, NOW (I know I have been victim to this)! The bikes value is about 4500-5000 depending of course on condition and modifications (take this into account). My recommendation (without more details): offer him 4K and feel him out. That "OBO" says a lot and he just may want some quick cash. With the economy the way it is it may take only a little worm to catch the big fish. He may see your 4K as a blessing that he had any offer at all and make a deal right away. I am guessing though he will want it bumped up. Sometimes in these negotiations they will throw in extra incentives that they otherwise might not have (i.e. seat cowl, spare exhaust, tires, passenger helmet, leathers, etc.). If he is desperate (which one has to be to give up any CBR for an upgrade or some other unknown reason), you will get a deal. Look at is this way, it is not really going to hurt the negotiation if you start too low but you could lose out on some gas money if you start too high. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
If private party kbb value on that bike is $3450 and dealer asking is $5000, $4500 seems to be the middle road. It's an 03 with old conventional forks and some other dated things. True, still an awesome bike but at $4500 you can get something a bit newer...especially with the way the economy is. $3400-3800 seems fair on a clean bike...I wouldn't pay more for it.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
yea def good get a better deal. Especially in this economy. Look around man.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. so i told the guy i only had about $4000. He said ill go as low as $4300 for the bike. i still feel like i could get him to go a little lower, i just dont know what points to bring up. that about it. my goal is still 4000 :icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Go there with 4k and see what happens. If nobody else is flashing cash at him or making offers, your chances are that much better.

·
Registered
655 Posts
thanks. so i told the guy i only had about $4000. He said ill go as low as $4300 for the bike. i still feel like i could get him to go a little lower, i just dont know what points to bring up. that about it. my goal is still 4000 :icon_lol:
I'd sit on it for a day or two and come back with a counteroffer of 4100. If he still isn't playing nice, walk away from it. My guess he will call you in a week or two to see if 4100 is still good (maybe ask for 4200 or 4150). Then my friend, the money is in your hands! There are plenty of bikes out there! Part of negotiation is knowing when to walk away...

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
There is one here in the paper in Hollywood,CA....2003 and it's black just like that one but comes with Vortex rearsets, new chain, tires, and brakes. This guy wants $3500 and we live in the most expensive part of the country for bikes!! Another one is $4500 with 2250mi! Is any of this soaking in?! $4000 is still not a deal but not too bad. If he doesn't bite at $4,000 you need to walk. I don't see anything extra on that bike that's worth getting ganked for on the price.

·
Registered
655 Posts
There is one here in the paper in Hollywood,CA....2003 and it's black just like that one but comes with Vortex rearsets, new chain, tires, and brakes. This guy wants $3500 and we live in the most expensive part of the country for bikes!! Another one is $4500 with 2250mi! Is any of this soaking in?! $4000 is still not a deal but not too bad. If he doesn't bite at $4,000 you need to walk. I don't see anything extra on that bike that's worth getting ganked for on the price.
Sounds like James did his homework (and that was only five minutes of effort put into it, haha)! If it is as easy for him to find something that quick by scanning in the classifieds, I have to agree with him and say walk away. Tell you what...go back and show the guy all these ads and tell him your offer of 4K is no good anymore, and you are only good for 3750! Watch his face drop as he takes your money and gives you the bike after seeing the ads. Good luck whatever you decide. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
People always post an item up for sale knowing there gonna be talked down, thats the nature of private selling. So they post the price a bit higher hoping to get what they want out of it, the obo shows he's willing to work on the price. Offer him 4k.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
give him no more than $4K, the bike doesn't even have any mods....

·
Registered
344 Posts
take into the following factors for maintenance:

possibly having to replace the clutch
chain/sprocket replacement if that hasn't been done recently
tires
the 16000 mile maintenance (valve adjustments)
tax/title/registration
the first model year for the RR (not that it really matters, but considering that the 05/06 model year they had the inverted forks and other subtle changes and the 07/08 model year had drastically improving changes including the HESD, weight savings, appearance, etc.)

all that maintenance will add up and $4k is a fair deal when considering all of that. it is OBO anyway, just tell him that's your best offer. i don't know how bad he needs the money or how the economy in Orlando is doing, but i'm sure he'll be willing to budge when push comes to shove

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've gotta agree with everyone above, don't drop more than 4k on this bike. If the guy isn't willing to take that offer walk and find someone who will.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i let that all soak in & realized that i was going to do something without thinking it through. Everyone made decent points. so with 4500 im better off getting an 05 maybe?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I paid $3,300 a few months ago for my 2004 with 4,200 mile on it ( I sold it already). Spring is coming so bikes prices are starting to go up but I would say$ 3,600 .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts