Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI folks. I hope this isn't something serious. Moved my bike around the garage today, washed it, went for a short ride to dry it out, come back and there is now a clattering coming from the front sprocket area or gearbox whenever the bike is rolled forward. It was NOT THERE before I washed it and did not use a power washer. The noise is rythmic, goes for about 4-5 clicks and repeats every few chain links it seems but cannot identify if it is chain or gear related. Tried rolling the bike in first with clutch in and get the same noise. Lubed the chain right away and the noise persists. Bike is full of oil. It is not as loud roling the bike backward as it is forward. Cant tell what really is causing it. The bike is out of warranty and I can't afford to take it in right now. THis thing only has 3500 miles.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
JWL

D

·
0 Posts
Check to see if anything is rubbing on the chain. Did you take your front sprocket cover off before the ride?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Front bake calipers slightly touch normally and makes a sound every revolution of the wheel, could this be it? The weird thing is you said you never heard it before. Do you only hear it when your next to something for the sound to bounce off of like a wall when your riding or is it always noticeable? I don't think it's anything too serious since all you did was wash the bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sound was definately coming from the front sprocket area and no, I removed nothing prior to the wash. Noise is mysteriously gone now, though. I went out to the garage to check it again after my post and putz around the block to diagnose some more but now it's not doing it. Clueless here. Have no idea what it could have been. I can't believe some trapped water could make such a mechanical noise so I don't know. Seems fine now. Just the king of problem I hate, though. You know, the ones that come and go, the ones that don't present themselves to a mechanic? If something is going to fail I want it to fail so at least I know what it is.

I do have a theory on this incident now though...

Never had this machine apart yet but I wonder if the clearances between parts are so tight in Honda's efforts to shrink the bike down, that maybe there was some differential expansion going on that doesn't usually occur. Maybe some trapped water was preventing normal heat expansion somewhere that might cause a "rub". The bike had cooled down significantly after all and I did nothing whatsoever to remedy the noise, but it is gone now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the EXACT same thing. I don't get it. I had the stock setup and my chain was stretched and needed to be replaced. So I figured the noise was from it being worn out. I replaced everything with 520 conversion and went -1 +2. After the install it was really quiet and the noise was gone BEFORE I took it out for a ride. AFTER my first ride the noise came back. The way I see it there are a few possibilities that are causing this but none of them seem very plausible.

#1 the chain is worn.... but it was noisy when it was old and when I replaced it with a brand new ERV-3 520
#2 since I went down 1 in the front it's possible some of the noise is from the chain slightly rubbing on parts of the rubber "chain runner" that goes on the top and bottom of my swing-arm. Since it's 520 the runner doesn't line up with the middle of the chain.
#3 since I don't have my front sprocket cover on maybe the noise was always there but it was shielded or muffled by the plastic cover.

Maybe for me it's a combination of #2 and #3. I will say that next time I change my chain and sprockets I will do it different. I am going back to 525 next time so my chain lines up with the rubber "chain runner". I do not want to trade the weight for the fact of it doesn't line up with the rubber thing. Also I will go 16 front and 48 rear for 2 reasons. It's the same as -1 +2 and the chain will be a little higher where it was before. Also the less teeth you have on the front will stress the chain more (to a certain extent).

These are just my retarded thoughts. I would like to hear everyone else's opinions.

·
Registered
783 Posts
This is a weird one....

1. Is your chain cleaned and lubed? Clean with kerosene and lube with your favourite chain lube.

2. Is the slack adjusted, too tight is not good. Is the slack adjusted correctly, you make sure its at the same marks on both adjusters either side of the axle.

3. Are the front and rear sprockets on correctly? If you did the 520 conversion the front sprocket has an offset, it must go on the correct way.

4. If you had the rear caliper off are both pads sitting correctly in the saddle ?

The tolerances are not that tight to the point washing the bike would affect anything, go over it again and again something isn't right.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am not the OP but as I said I have the exact same issue. The noise is from the front sprocket area. I am positive it's not the brakes. As I said I installed a brand new ERV-3 which came with a generous amount of lube on it. When I installed the sprockets I put them on correct..... the AFAM had directional arrow like tires. On the stand it was super quiet but after that first ride it came back. I am positive my chain isn't 2 tight because I learned that lesson on a vortex sprocket and I'm practically positive it's not 2 loose. The alignment marks line up perfectly on each side and everything is wearing evenly.

Is it normal to hear the chain rolling without your front sprocket cover on? Should I be worried about anything?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Darth was already taken at 1000 so I added the H. I'm also Darth at RC51.org...

I was just out there playing with my chain, my sprocket cover is always off and I just took of my 520 and went back to the oe chain and sprockets 525 because I have a bunch of street riding coming up. Don't wanna wear out the good stuff.

Anwyays, I can't hear no clicking for the life of me. Only thing I can think of is maybe your ears are way sharper than mine and you can hear the chain running on it the sprocket. That would be normal noise. If everything is smooth, free, not binding, lubed and correctly adjusted I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I found this video on you tube. It's not mine but his chain sounds the same as mine at 1:09 . Should a brand new chain be this noisy after one ride? Maybe it was always this noisy but I never noticed it till I actually changed a chain and sprockets myself and had it up on a rearstand. The part that bothers me is after the install but before a ride it was super quiet and when I came back from a 15 minute ride it was noisy as hell like this guys chain at 1:09. Are all of your chains this noisy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsRZuKRtzP4

·
Registered
159 Posts
Funny, was about to ask the same thing. I started noticing the same noise coming from my front sprocket. I can only narrow it down to things; 1st I tighten my chain, 2nd lawncare dude(you know who they are just don't want to be racist) took a leafblower to my bike blowing sand,dirt,etc. on my bike caking my chain in filth. Now I don't remember hearing a noise after adjusting but don't want to rule it out but definitely noticed it after the 2nd. Since it'll be a rainy day this Tues I'll do a proper clean on the chain and double check my chain slack/tire alignment.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Maybe the reason the noise went away after awhile is because the lube finally worked its way into the chain. Seriously though, a lot of this might just be normal. Chains make noise.. thats partly a reason some manufacturers went to belts and shaft drives.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well the thing is the clattering wasn't there before so I don't think it's normal. Now I'm not saying there isn't suppose to be any noise coming from the chain just this excessive clattering that just doesn't sound right. Oh well I'm off to the garage, if I end finding the problem I'll let you guys know.

UPDATE:

Well I checked my chain slack/wheel alignment and those check out fine so I leave that alone. Since this was going to be a deep clean I took of the chain guard and sprocket cover. I noticed that there was gobs of old grease/lube in that area. So I clean all that stuff off, cleaned the chain till it was spotless, drove around the block to heat the chain, blast some air on the chain to get rid of any dirt from the ride, spray some lube on. After all that the clattering is all gone now. Sounds nice and smooth now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts