Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Honda Cbr 600rr

Hi, so left my bike over the winter. Changed battery for new season, upon starting bike it run a little rough and than cut off. Found F/I fuse had blown. Replace fuse, bike starts runs for 2 mins and than fuse blows again. This process can be repeated and bike will do same thing every time.

Took apart fairings, and saw a minor fray in the main harness wire. I changed the entire main harness wire complete with new fuse box. Start bike and same thing, fuse pops!

Is the F/I fuse for the fuel injector? Or is another component causing that fuse to pop? Please help I have spoken with multiple mechanics and they just recommend to keep changing parts/wire harnesses until problem solved. If I do that I will be more into my bike than its worth.

Any ideas? Anyone have the same issue? Please help! I will literally pay for the advice, I am so lost on where to go from here.

Thank you in advance!

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,986 Posts
the FI fuse powers everything involved in the FI system.

ecu
fuel injectors
fuel pump
ignition coils

basically everything that involves the engine is powered by that fuse. the other fuses handle all the extra electrical loads on the bike.

chances are you have a pinched wire in a harness somewhere.. did you lift the tank and maybe pinch the fuel pump harness?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

ecu
fuel injectors
fuel pump
ignition coils

basically everything that involves the engine is powered by that fuse. the other fuses handle all the extra electrical loads on the bike.

chances are you have a pinched wire in a harness somewhere.. did you lift the tank and maybe pinch the fuel pump harness?
Hi, so I changed the entire main harness. If you were me would you start with changing the ecu, fuel injector, fuel pump, or ignition coils first?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try disconnecting a few coils. Start with 1 coil disconnected and start the bike. It wont hurt the engine to run with one coil disconnected. Coils are subject to a lot of heat and can crack and short out the ECU. Also you can bench the resistance of the coils once off the bike.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,986 Posts
unplug everything, power the bike up

then start plugging **** in till the fuse pops.

there are better ways to do this, but i'm far too impatient to explain them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

ecu
fuel injectors
fuel pump
ignition coils

Hi, if the ecu is bad would the bike still start like it has been (at least until fuse pops)?. Additionally if I purchase a used ecu, is it plug and play? Or will i have to get it reflashed to the key. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unplug everything, power the bike up

then start plugging **** in till the fuse pops.

there are better ways to do this, but i'm far too impatient to explain them.
Hi, thanks for the advice. Quick question. If everything I need to unplug (fuel injector, fuel pump, ignition coils, and ecu) are the same things that would allow my bike to start, how would I go about doing this test?

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I think he means have ignition on, motor stop switch in run position with everything disconnected from main harness..

Maybe start with trying to reconnect each sub harness....watch for fuse failing.

You should be able to ID where fault lies, if its in main or the associated sub harness wiring .

Then start re connecting components and note when fuse blows.....then examine that particular circuit and component very carefully...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unplug one coil. Start the bike see if it runs. Then shut it off reconnect and unplug another coil until you see if one is bad or all of good

·
Registered
27 Posts
Disconnect your fuel pump plug and replace the fuse and see if it blows. If it doesn't replace your fuel pump. That's what I had to do in exactly the same circumstances. Bike left over winter. Pumps are a dime a dozen on fleabay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts