Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone can give me clues on how to fix a bent subframe, please help. Someone crashed my bike (me) and the subframe is bent about 1 inch to the right (measured at the exhaust mounting bolt). I tried levering it, but it wouldn't move. A friend of mine said you can heat aluminum up and bend it, but he'd have to take it off the bike, and then I wouldn't know how much to bend it.

Any suggestions? Should I just buy a new subframe?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Have you tried the leverage effect of a well placed scaffold pole? However, remember that aluminium will be stressed and therefore weaker after bending. Try eBay or breakers for a new subframe, maybe. Whatever you decide, good luck!

L

·
0 Posts
i would just measure how much it needs to be bent and then take it off and let your friend heat it up and bend it back. he probably won't get it exact, but it should be close enough that you could use some pipes or crowbars and bend it back from there once it is back on the bike.

·
Monkey works will work for you :)
1,679 Posts
kef27,
I had the same problem with my bike just recently. It all started when some dumb biatch :bitchslap: rear ended me when I only had 150 miles on my bike. When she hit me my left passenger peg got stuck in her front right quarter panel and the force lifted the rear of the bike off the ground, transmitting all of this force into my subframe directly. She then hit the brakes, we separated, and I was somehow able to keep the bike from going down. All said, my subframe was twisted to the right, and luckily her insurance company paid up to get my bike fixed to "NEW" condition. I did the work myself because I don't trust any of the local shops (damn crooks :****: ) and I thought I would be able to straighten the subframe, wrong. Our subframe is unique because it is cast instead of a composition of machined parts and pieces welded together. This is good for us because it makes it extremely ridgid transferring alot of road information to the rider but when bent, very hard to straighten. I was going to try bending it back on the bike and quickly saw that was not going to work(to much pressure on the main frame). Then I was going to remove it and make a jig that would hold it, but then I just decided to buy new because I had the money from insurance. Heating it could be done but it will never be right again and may change the orientation of the mounting holes making it difficult to bolt back on the bike. If you were to heat it, it would have to be on a jig so it would not throw off any of the mounting holes. My suggestion would be to check ebay, or do as I did and buy new from RonAyers.com, $270.00 to your door and it takes a week to get. I suggest this because by the time build a jig and do the best to make it straight, your time will probably be worth as much as it costs for a new subframe. Hope this helps.

Rowski

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Dependiong on where you are they have shops that will use lasers to make sure that it's totally straight. Most of the time they can straighten the frame. What part of the country are you in. I know a few places in Cali that will do it but eyeing it on a bike that will do 170mph isn't the best idea.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
RowskisRR is right on....don't try and bend back a cast part...just doesn't work....You'll never be able to get it back to original size, shape....and something that is capapble of 160+ mph....you don't want anything to be crooked....
get you a new one on ebay bro...

good luck

·
Registered
448 Posts
I got mine bent back perfectly after I crashed it. A local guy who actually repairs race bikes has a jig. Doesnt't even need to take it off the bike, Just striped it down fixed it in various points and the jig twisted it bck into alignment. superb and all for £70 / $120..

Dont know where people get it that castings dont bend, it's inherintly strong/durable it's one of the reasons they use casting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all!

Well, I bent it back last night - looks perfect, perfect fit for all fasteners. My friend knew his stuff - I was impressed. He heated it with a torch to 700 degrees (about midframe), and it bent back easily. Still, he only eye balled it (and fit the plastics).

I smell what you're all cooking - I might pick up a new one because I am going to race this season (AFM in Cali) and I don't want to crash just because I wouldn't fork out $270.00

westhondapons600rr - Peking duck; that's funny sh!t

·
Monkey works will work for you :)
1,679 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out for you, I would have tried harder myself but like I said, I had the money from insurance and I wanted my precious bike back to "NEW" condition. :D After all, she only had 150 miles on her.

Rowski

1 - 9 of 9 Posts