Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This week I covered an assignment on the “Fisher House” at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and had the pleasure to meet Staff Sergeant Justin Shellhammer. He lost his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan and was there to talk with the media to try to bring awareness to his comrades in need.

I noticed him out of all of the wounded vets there because of the motorcycle stickers on his prosthetic. He told me he had just bought a Honda CR 250 R right before he was shipped out and has never ridden it. He lost his left leg below the knee so no more normal shifting for Justin. There are kits to convert the bike but I could tell that it was really getting to him to talk about it so I changed the subject.

He also told me when he is well enough he is going to motorcycle mechanics school in Florida. Needless to say this story really had a profound effect on me and now I have a new friend. We have already made plans to go bow hunting this fall at my place in the mountains. When he is totally healed I’m going to take him backpacking and show him some of the Blueridge Mountains in Virginia.

The event that brought us together was to bring attention to the major effort by concerned American citizens to build the Center for the Intrepid, the National Armed Forces Physical Rehabilitation Center, a state-of-the-art advance training skills facility to be located at the Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas. The Center for the Intrepid will serve the needs of the catastrophically disabled military personnel and veterans from all five branches of the U.S. military and the Veterans' Affairs Department.

If you guys have any extra cash lying around please send it to this worthily cause. The Center for the Intrepid has a web site. www.fallenherosfund.org. If you live close to D.C. make an effort to help these guys out. Call Walter Reed and see if there is anything you can offer, you would be surprised to see how much you can do with just a little bit of effort. I’d love to get a group of them together and rent a bus for a road trip to a motorcycle race or maybe even a track day just for them. Any takers that want to help let me know.

PS this link is a little faster; http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/fallenheroes/index.php?MERCURYSID=d77c5de15420676bdc5b729a3a18f53b

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks Moe. Your right, every little bit helps and if everybody here put up just a couple of bucks it would be a large donation. That’s all I'm asking is if you can afford just a couple of bucks it would really help. After seeing these guys on several different occasions now its clear as day that they are all as tough as coffin nails and would never ask anyone for help. Trust me they need it and deserve it. These men and women are never going to be the same and we owe them so much. :icon_salu

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
they deserve yet with out any doubt the peddler on the street corner does not deserve it our wounded soldiers do hell if evrey member here donates 5.00 and we got 7918 great members the total would be a great sum of money and for an awesome cause :icon_lol: :icon_salu

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I must admit I’m a little let down by the response to this post. With the amount of flag waving that goes on around this site and as many military members that we have I thought that the response would have been better. I thought that this would be a great way for us as motorcyclist to do something for our brothers in arms besides sending then toothpaste or magazines! Which is fine and they need that too. My family has sent packages to the troops in Iraq through our church. Maybe all this boils down to me seeing them and talking with them through my work and as I said in the opening post it has affected me. Meeting them makes you what to help them. Maybe we as Americans should have to visit Walter Reed as a lesson in reality. Maybe it’s me being hypersensitive? Maybe no one really wants to face up to the fact that young men get torn up when our government sends them off to war. Maybe people are sending money and just not posting it? Maybe the 600rr.net crew does in fact not care. Maybe members posting are just too young, spoiled and entrenched in their materialistic lives to give a ****.

http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/com...w_to_contribute

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
i want to keep this post alive so please come on people a littkle donation would not hurt at all on the other hand it would make you proud of yourself and brighten a soldier's day

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
douglasgraham said:
Well I must admit I’m a little let down by the response to this post. With the amount of flag waving that goes on around this site and as many military members that we have I thought that the response would have been better. I thought that this would be a great way for us as motorcyclist to do something for our brothers in arms besides sending then toothpaste or magazines! Which is fine and they need that too. My family has sent packages to the troops in Iraq through our church. Maybe all this boils down to me seeing them and talking with them through my work and as I said in the opening post it has affected me. Meeting them makes you what to help them. Maybe we as Americans should have to visit Walter Reed as a lesson in reality. Maybe it’s me being hypersensitive? Maybe no one really wants to face up to the fact that young men get torn up when our government sends them off to war. Maybe people are sending money and just not posting it? Maybe the 600rr.net crew does in fact not care. Maybe members posting are just too young, spoiled and entrenched in their materialistic lives to give a ****.

http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/com...w_to_contribute
man, your words are a bit harsh. I know for a fact that A LOT of the members on this site have gone out of their way to help the troops. If you haven't gotten the response you're looking for, I"m sorry. Keep bumping the thread so people see it. But for you to say the 600rr.net crew doesn't give a sh&t, I think you are out of line!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I am....just hoping to get some cash for these guys. Sorry to offend ya. Besides after this went to the dust bend over the weekend I thought what the hell maybe a guilt trip. Anyway sorry, sorry I'm an ASS HAT but please send a couple of bucks:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts