Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've got an 03 600RR with approx 16,000 miles on it. I went for a little ride on sunday and noticed it was running a little funny (didn't accelerate like normal in 1st gear). Anyway...after my ride I washed her down and now she refuses to start! She cranks but does not turn over. I tried compression starting with no luck. I checked the battery and it is good (lights are on and bright, took it down to AutoZone and they said the battery is still good). One thing I notice is the fuel pump sound is not present when I turn the ignition on. Is it normal for the fuel pump to go bad after only 16,000 miles? Is there anything else I should look into before changing out the fuel pump?
Thanks in advance, guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
have you checked the fuses? The fuel pump should run for 2 seconds after you turn the bike on. Then it should run once the bike is started.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
i seriously doubt its the fuel pump. its prob one of the kill features. check all fuses, kill switch assem., BAS, neutch inticator, clutch engaugement sensor, kick stand sensor, etc ... it will not start if you dont hear that whining nosie for a few seconds from the fuel pump as it primes up the rail. also, if the ECU is throwin a weird code (which it might cuz u said it was runnin all weird right before) it wont allow it to run to prevent from any further damage. if all checks out i'd bring it down to the local dealership and pull the code. let us know what the prob is when you figure it out. I would be curious to know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
madbrown75 said:
have you checked the fuses? The fuel pump should run for 2 seconds after you turn the bike on. Then it should run once the bike is started.
I havn't checked the fuses...I'll do that first before digging into the fuel assembly.
Thanks madbrown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
APEX_600RR said:
i seriously doubt its the fuel pump. its prob one of the kill features. check all fuses, kill switch assem., BAS, neutch inticator, clutch engaugement sensor, kick stand sensor, etc ... it will not start if you dont hear that whining nosie for a few seconds from the fuel pump as it primes up the rail. also, if the ECU is throwin a weird code (which it might cuz u said it was runnin all weird right before) it wont allow it to run to prevent from any further damage. if all checks out i'd bring it down to the local dealership and pull the code. let us know what the prob is when you figure it out. I would be curious to know...
Thanks for the suggestions Apex...I'm gonna go right down your list and check them all. What is BAS?
By the way...I see you're in Tempe. I'm in Chandler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
mcbean7 said:
Thanks for the suggestions Apex...I'm gonna go right down your list and check them all. What is BAS?
By the way...I see you're in Tempe. I'm in Chandler.
BAS = Bank Angle Sensor, its just a lil device behind your speedo that shuts the engine off if its tiped over or wheelied real high haha ive had bad experiences with them killin my motor and slammin me down real hard so i take em off all my bikes. yes i am in tempe, if you still are having trouble with the bike after checkin everything you can bring it by my place and we could take a look at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,434 Posts
Make sure you didn't leave it in gear with the kick stand down. Put it in neutral, kill switch to "Run", and see if the fuel pump primes up. It's got to be one of the things Apex listed above if the pump is not priming. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump relay but check everything else first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NewRedRider said:
Make sure you didn't leave it in gear with the kick stand down. Put it in neutral, kill switch to "Run", and see if the fuel pump primes up. It's got to be one of the things Apex listed above if the pump is not priming. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump relay but check everything else first.
LOL...I have been caught making this mistake many times. Unfortunately, not this time. I've checked all that you've mentioned. Still no sound of fuel pump priming when ignition is turned on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
mcbean7 said:
LOL...I have been caught making this mistake many times. Unfortunately, not this time. I've checked all that you've mentioned. Still no sound of fuel pump priming when ignition is turned on.
ok a few more things to try if you have the resources:
- swap out fuel pump relay (well all 3 while ur at it) w/ ones off a good bike (600RR relays are specific i believe)
- swap ECU's with a good bike to see if it clears the codes or possibly narrow down a bad ECU
- tear the ignition cyclinder (where u put ur key in) down and check the little diode to make sure its not blown either.
- directly connect ur pump to ur battery with spare peice of wire to see if u can get any action out of it (i bet u can)

thats all i can think of now, i have to go on my lunch break. I have a F4i sittin in my garage at the moment with the EXACT same prob with it. I and my buddy have tried absolutely EVERYTHING to get that damn pump to prime and have had no luck. The last thing left to swap out is the main harness. So after that is done and the bike still wont start its goin up for auction in e-bay haha! that was why i was curious to find out what the deal was with yours ... pain in the ass, mind boggling problem huh??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I Got It!!!!!

Thank you to all for your help on this issue. I finally figured out my problem. The BAS was loose. All I had to do was reconnect it and she fired right up! I couldn't have figured this out without you guys. Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,434 Posts
Good to hear!

Hey Apex, I thought we could swap the relays out with each other? Not sure though but I think I remember someone posting about this under the same scenario.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Good to hear!

Hey Apex, I thought we could swap the relays out with each other? Not sure though but I think I remember someone posting about this under the same scenario.
i meant, i don't think they are interchangable between other honda bikes such as a F4i or 954. When troubleshootin i some times test parts off other bike models if i dont have other workin parts from that exact bike available. You are correct tho, all 3 relays on the 600RR are the same part number (i had to look it up on ronayers haha).
 

·
"oh, theyre real... takatas."
Joined
·
1,163 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Make sure you didn't leave it in gear with the kick stand down. Put it in neutral, kill switch to "Run", and see if the fuel pump primes up. It's got to be one of the things Apex listed above if the pump is not priming. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump relay but check everything else first.
hey sorry to keep this going but what happens leaving it in gear with the kick stand down? Im a newb i know hah. I'm having trouble starting my brand new old 03' hah and im not near it right now but in what position should the kill swith be turned to? the like recycle arrows or the one with the X next to it sorry im not near the bike right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
CasperGSR99 said:
hey sorry to keep this going but what happens leaving it in gear with the kick stand down? Im a newb i know hah. I'm having trouble starting my brand new old 03' hah and im not near it right now but in what position should the kill swith be turned to? the like recycle arrows or the one with the X next to it sorry im not near the bike right now
it just wont turn over unless the clutch is pulled in. also u want the kill switch down on the side with the recycle arrows when starting
 

·
"oh, theyre real... takatas."
Joined
·
1,163 Posts
hmm cause i had the clutch pulled in the switch flipped down... all of the guages were on and the headlight. it was turning a little then clicking any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
dead battery. it has just enough charge to turn it over a couple times then you hear that solenoid clicking really fast when it gives up. this could be caused by leavin the bike on without the motor runnin too many times, bad voltage rectifier/regulator or just a plain old bad battery ...
 

·
"oh, theyre real... takatas."
Joined
·
1,163 Posts
even though all the guages turn on and the headlights are bright?
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top