Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed ohlins steering damper today and torqued up tank cover bolts,
felt a bit of resistance as the left tank bolt went in and then the resistance suddenly gave and the bolt is now spinning in the hole, cant get it to thread out or in what have i done and is it terminal?
thanks.
dec.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeah probably stripped it out. No big deal, drill it out, re-tap it and just get a slightly bigger bolt. Be careful with that aluminum man.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, i know its prob a stupid question but can i still use my damper mount if i have to put a bigger bolt in there?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeah you may have to enlarge the hole in the damper mount but it shouldnt be a big deal. Or you could drill it out, re-tap it and put in a helicoil. Not sure if you know what that is, but it would allow you to use the stock size bolt.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Go get a Heli Coil insert kit. This lets you drill out the bolt. Drill out the hole. Tap the hole and install new threads in the hole. This way you can use your same size hardware and it gives you a better mount because the threads are hardend steel. I Helicoil all the aluminum whenever i repair or rebuild something if the aluminum looks or feels funny....The kit comes with a drill bit,tap,thread inserts and a special tool for the inserts.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers for the advice guys. gonna have to go to the shop with it ive lost all faith in myself!!!! have never seen the helicoil kits in ireland but they look like a godsend! will let you know how i get on anyway guys!
cheers
dec

1 - 6 of 6 Posts