1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I lost my only motorcycle key and it had the metal key code on there :(

so I think my two options are
1) replace ignition set ($30)(do it myself)
2) get a locksmith to make a new key ($300)

I was looking into replacing the ignition set myself, however there are zero detailed write ups or helpful information for 2011 models.

I was hoping you guys can give me a bit of clarification and guidance as I collect the tools and items to start this project. I am thinking of getting the ignition set off eBay for $30.

I’m a bit confused on how to remove the triple clamp since I have a gprv4 stabilizer. Do I just remove stabilizer and remove the steering nut? (Do you guys know size/torque of the nut?)
Then loosen the tightening bolts around the forks? And then I can pop off the ignition switch? But what type of security bolt is it ? And where do I get the bolts to replace it with? Once I put everything back do I need any programming? Or just plug and play?

pleasepm if you have a 2011 cbr600rr service manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't buy the eBay set, very low quality...ask me how I know.
Can you possibly write out a little guide on how to remove the triple clamp? while steering lock is on please? if you worked on 2011. Would you recommend a different alternative?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Do NOT buy a cheap Chinese ignition set on eBay. You will regret it. Absolute crap. I have one I'll sell you for $15 if you can' t be talked out of it. Much better idea to buy a used OEM set from a salvager on eBay.

$300 is way high to have keys made. I'm in small town with one locksmith and he makes me keys for $65 with the ignition removed. Variable amount if he has to do it on the bike depending on how long it takes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
so the ignition **** is def under 200 or so iirc, under 150 maybe even, but its pretty to take out as well. for my 08, i think you gotta pop off the gas tank cover, then disconnect the steering damper(idk how to take off a gpr tho), disconnect the ignition from the wire harness and then take the upper triple tree off(steering stem nut is a 30mm). for the security bolt i had a honda dealership right by my house so i was able to take it to them. otherwise im sure there are other write ups on how to do that or where to get a bolt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts