Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed the PCV and Autotune on my bike. The Autotune O2 sensor is fixed to the stock bung. I think the PCV is installed without any problem. However, I'm not sure if the Autotune is installed correctly as the manual from Dynojet is not clear. The manual doesn't mention much about the switch. Hope you guys can give me some advises. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
As for your first pic, yes that is correct. (A) Can terminal into expansion port of PCV module. (Other port could be used for a color LCD unit..as per instructions)

Speaking of instructions...do you still have them for the PCV. If not, I believe you can still get it off the power commander website

Regarding your switch to turn Auto Tune off and on, that switch is wired into the PCV, not the auto tune module. There are a series of 7 inputs along the same side as the expansion ports on the PCV. In this order, from the outside of the module going in towards the expansion ports, with the module face up.

Crank, Analog, Speed, Shifter, Shifter, Map, Map.

Wire the switch into the two map ports. Polarity does not matter So, your switch wires will go into the two connectors closest to the expansion ports again. on the PCV module

Hope this helps

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dogman, is the connection of the switch as shown in the sketch ok? If this is correct, I need to buy an extra wire for this purpose right? The switch I connect to the red wire from Autotune to the 12V source is unnecessary and can be taken out? Many thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey, very nice drawing you did there! Yes, that is right how you have your switch wired in. Yep, you will need some extra wire, and switch and some connectors for the switch...depending on the style of the switch. Good Job.

I was trying to understand your switch in the red wire for the auto tune...so I dug out my instructions. They say to connect to a switched source, by that they mean a positive 12v source when the key is on, versus a source that always have 12v, like going directly to the battery. This is to ensure the auto tune does not stay on when the bike is off, thereby running your battery down over time.

They suggest a source like the 12v tail light wire, which obviously goes off when the key is off. I dont like using the connectors they supply, and because I installed on a track bike...and had an extra wiring harness, I made some more inputs/outputs at the fuse panel. This will be difficult for you to do without the extra parts. Here are some photos showing the track bike and the switch I installed for the map on/off.

Good luck, if you have any more questions feel free and I will do my best to help out

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Dogman. Thanks for the nice photos and your detail explanation. I have a clearer picture right now.
I will connect the red wire to the backlight instead of battery.
I think the switch for the PCV is not necessary. This is only to switch between the base map and autotune map. But I can't figure out what situation we will need to change from autotune mode to base map or vice versa if the autotune gives optimal AFR.
When everthing connected correctly, how can I know the autotune is working? This can be checked in the Trim table?

·
Registered
160 Posts
No prob. I understand what your saying about the switch. I think some others on here had some good reasons why the switch should be installed.

For track purposes, Im thinking if the auto tune gets me close to what I want, I can then save the trims, turn the auto tune off and manually adjust the trims in the program. Im thinking the other reason was in case the auto tune started to go wacky...like bad 02 sensor, you could shut the auto tune off and run it with the saved maps.

In the auto tune instructions...

"to verify that Auto Tune is workiing you should see a real time AFR reading in the lower right had corner of the software" (when bike is running)

"A value of 9.99 could indicate a faulty sensor or the sensor wired incorrectly to the module. "

"A value of 0.00 could indicate that the CAN termination plugs have not been installed or Autotune has not been enabled in the software."

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately I got a value of 9.99. I checked the wiring again and it is correct. Don't know what happen. Any idea?? Carry out the O2 sensor test?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Im guessing you did enable auto tune in your software and saved the changes?

Another quick guess, did you install the plug in the spare expansion port on the PCV Module ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've removed the switch that wired to the red wire of Autotune. It seems ok now as I can see the AFR value in the program keeps changing. It was so pity that I didn't have to ride a session to see what will be shown in the trim table. Can't wait to test it. If everything is ok, I will connect the red wire to the backlight and add the switch for PCV. Of course, I will also tidy up all the wires like yours.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good stuff! Let me know how you make out.

We are going to the track this coming weekend too. (This is the wifes bike.) I had the PCV on without the Auto tune last year. Over the winter break, added the Auto Tune so this will be her first time trying it out too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm so surprised that the bike belongs to your wife. Here is not many female sport bike rider in my country.

I have high expectation on the Autotune. As I'm racing in east Asia, the temperature and humidity can change a lot from day to day. The power is good in cold and dry weather but becomes worse while getting hot and humid. Especially in spring time, the humidity here can be as high as 99%. Here is a true example, yesterday humidity was 75% but today goes up to94%. Only this change makes the bike completely different. That's why a self mapping function is necessary for the bike to become more competitive. Let see how much the Autotune can improve in race at the end of this month. How about you? What makes you decide to add the Autotune?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, its kinda a long story. The bike was a crashed bike when we bought it. I ended up needing to replace the engine. The bike had a throttle transition problem when going from neutral throttle to slight throttle...kinda upsetting her balance in corners. I put the PCV on hoping to get a custom map done. Took it for a custom map and found there was a problem somewhere.....I ended up changing throttle bodies which made it perform alot better. Because I like to tinker, I ended up putting the auto tune on. Here are a few pics...of her first time out on the bike. It looks a little nicer now...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice photos!! Here is me in action.
I see that you have connected 2 more wires to the PCV. What is that? Quickshifter or other sensors?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
wow I was passing over this thread and I cant help but compliment both of you! max600racing your sketches are amazing and dogman your wiring is gorgeous. And its so cool that your wife rides too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dog man, that picture where you drew the actual pc5 and switch... Do you need 4 wires from the on/off switch (two per hole) or just 2 wires (one wire per hole) also!! How do you have two maps put in the powercommander?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts