Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there's been a lot of talk on this board about the 600rr vs r6. i just got a job at a bmw/ducati/harley/yamaha dealer and i'm contemplating getting an r1 or an r6. i can get a decent deal on an r1 since there are '03 models left over and i can get a decent deal on an r6. as you know, it won't be a great deal since the markup on sportbikes isn't that much, but it will be decent. also, the dealership services yamaha (not honda) so i'll hopefully save some money on repairs / parts. for all of you that work in shops and may have had a similar situation let me know what you decided. the 600rr is my dream bike, but it's comforting to know that if i get an r6 i'll be working with people who can help service the bike and who are familiar with yamaha's. is it worth making the trade-offs for the 600rr or should i get a bike that we have in-house?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haven't had much experience on the r6 but I contemplated on selling my RR for the R1. I went to the dealership and got to sit on the R1 and it felt real nice especially with the motor running - could have test rode it if I had the time. I love my RR to death but if I can, I'd get the R1... 2004 model though. Good luck deciding... sorry I wasn't much help but it's just my personal preference to go with the R1. One thing that I like about the Yamahas is that both front lights are on and people aren't going to give you a hard time about one light being out!!! Just a minor pet peeve I'm sure we all can relate to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In your situation I would get the R1 or R6 and I would lean toward the R1. The R6 I'm sure is going to be completely redesigned for next year and your bike will look old. If you have enough experience and can handle the "one" I would get that. I personally am not a fan of the looks of the new one and they have had clutch issues but since you work at the shop that will be easy to handle. I'm a big liter bike fan having bought the 1000rr a couple of months ago, though a jaunt on my 600rr is always a blast as well.

H

·
0 Posts
I like the R1...i think that it is one of my favorite liter bikes...although i am not really into liter bikes....but if i had a choice...having riden the '03 R1 i would probably jump on it....i cannot relaly comment about the '04 R! or the 1000rr since i have not riden either....i like the undertail exhaust..but there are other featers about both of the '04 liters bikes (R1 and 1000rr) that i do not like.....i have heard some negaitve things about yamaha...but i take that with a grain of salt...too many people are dealer loyal and they will always say that other bikes have problems....so to make a long story short....if i was in your shoes i would get the R1....and that is assuming that you can handle that bike....good luck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If it will be a daily rider i.e. commuting, errands, and traveling I say the R1. If it is just for sport riding and short trips go with the R6.

·
Registered
307 Posts
hey which dealer do you work for? i'm in MD(Montgomery country) too. nice to see someone from local finally.

i got my 600rr last week and absolutely loving it. but you really should go with what you what. if 600rr really is your dream bike, then get it. plus, if you work at the dealer, you can learn to do simple maintenance jobs to save money.

ps: why don't you consider buying ducati? haha :lol2:

·
Registered
378 Posts
600rr
period,point blank end of story! :bounce:

·
Registered
494 Posts
My friend has an '04 R6. It's a little bit faster than the 600RR (I have 3 friends that all ride 600RR's and none of us can beat him in the 1/4, and we're all better riders than he is), but it also has some downfalls:

The gauges are horrible. You have to select to have the clock displayed. There is NO fuel gauge, just a "low fuel" light that turns on when you're about to run out of fuel.

The seat is softer than the RR but it is also like twice as wide.

The frame runs just high enough that you have to rest your legs against it when you're riding, and, in the true spirit of Yamaha, it gets so damn hot when you're riding that you damn near burn your leg on it.

The fuel tank is contoured to fit around your knees and it feels pretty good, but in order to do that they had to raise the tank up a little bit and it makes it REALLY uncomfortable to lean forward at all because you have a fuel tank jabbing you in the chest.

The throttle response is WAY too touchy. When you let off it feels like someone hit the brakes (the RR's are touchy, but not near as touchy as the R6), and when you try to give it barely any throttle chances are you're going to give it too much.

They're both good bikes though. If you're wanting to do wheelies or anything like that, the R6 is definitely a better bike because of the weight distribution. I still like my RR though. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
hanshinji said:
The seat is softer than the RR but it is also like twice as wide.
really? i thought 600rr seat was wide... whew.. i guess my butt is too small to be seating on r6 then.. hehe :mrgreen:
Yeah it's huge. It kinda makes the bike look weird in person. That and the huge bubble of a gas tank.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Honda's never need service so go with the 600RR.

Honestly, I would get the bike I really wanted over a few dollars.

I had the cash in my hand and went to buy an R1 but I did not like it in person.

Then I rode an F4i, an Interceptor, and finally the RR. I had to have the RR.

Check them out and see which one you have to have. Buy it. ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts