Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 CBR600rr and it won't start. Yes, I've searched for similiar questions and answers on the forum before posting this. No luck. When it turn the key I hear the fuel pump prime and everything. The dash lights up and all. When I press the button all I hear is a click as if the battery does't have a good connection, the dash and lights go out, when released everything comes back on. I've changed the battery to a new fully charged one, I've changed the starter and bench tested it, which tested good. I've changed the starter solenoid as well but still only a click, a single click any ideas? I even tested to voltage at the starter which is 7.6v so I know there is a problem :banghead: just need help pin pointing as to where. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if i posted in the wrong section.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The first thread in this section is a sticky by LDN and is all about troubleshooting a bike that won't start.

Go through that using your service manual and multimeter and come back with questions from there; this has been covered WAY too many times to keep going over and over.

Plus there is a sticky on it already........

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
couple questions out of curiosity:

will it push start?
what's the average running temperature?
how well do you know the maintenance history of the bike? (I'm guessing you aren't the original owner)
how many miles are on it?
did anything seem abnormal or unusual about it the last time it did start on it's own?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it won't push start.
Doesn't run last time it did the temp was 186 to 205.
Very well. I am not the original owner but I've had the bike for 6 years.
miles...32,485
Yes it was a slow start...barely started. the the 2 times after it started fine, then this issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have changed the starter relay., Starter checked all fuses and tested the R/R all good.
I have even checked the voltage at the starter which is 7.4v. Ive tried jumping the wires at the relay and still one click.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to bypass the ignition switch next although it seems to be working fine. I've checked the start/stop switch also all good. I'm stumped.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
First off, those temps are kinda high if moving, mine runs at 172 except when warming up or at a stop light. I'm very far from being a mechanic but based off what you've said my instinct is that something is seized and the starter simply does not have the strength to turn it off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought seized too but why only 7.4v at the starter, It's supposed to get 12v there right? The motor turns I've checked that as well. I clicks like there is a bad ground, the same way a car does if the ground wire is loose on the battery. I'll open the clutch case and check in there since I recently replaced the clutches.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I think push starting should make any starter issues irrelevant, and if it's in gear but will move when you pull the clutch then that's probably not the cause either...maybe the component that is supposed to take over once running is bad (can't remember the name atm)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Any clues I am I the same boat I have tried everything out here read every thread or article I can find and still nothing but 1 click. Replacing starter In the next few days hoping this works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts