Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i have been hitting the canyons more and more frequent and on my first canyon ride to Ojai i target fixated and ran through a turn. I was very lucky and stayed up but since then i have had a few close calls. I have tried looking far ahead, tried keeping my eyes moving to avoid fixing and i just need some ways to practice not doing it. Where should i be looking? Ect... Thank you in advance

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
i had the same problem, but i went down @ 100 mph. what i do is scan the road. pick a spot every 50 feet or so and right before you hit that spot scan ahead 50 moore feet. i only look straight ahead if i can. in the cayons if you look straight ahead all the time what are you really looking at? the damn gaurd rail. always look the way you want to go, but scanning works best or me and since then i havent went down. knock on wood. im sure some other guys can give you a better analogy about riding skills. as far as ojai, thats a beautiful ride. me and my wife drove out there to get a rottwieler from a breeder that lives in ojai. at the time i wished i had my bike so i can bend some corners. good luck bro.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I think you should slow down a little more before entering trouble spots where target fixation could be an issue. Looking where you want to go is one of the most basic skills, and until it's natural for you I wouldn't push it. This is especially true when riding somewhere new. When cornering, look as far through the corner as you can, and keep updating your focal point as you are turning until you are finished with the curve. Very important on blind corners, make your eyes look around the corner as far as you can, imagine where the rest of the curve goes, get a feel for it. Also when in a turn, take into account if the curve is getting tighter or wider (increasing vs. decreasing radius) as you are entering and riding through it.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I think you should slow down a little more before entering trouble spots where target fixation could be an issue. Looking where you want to go is one of the most basic skills, and until it's natural for you I wouldn't push it. This is especially true when riding somewhere new. When cornering, look as far through the corner as you can, and keep updating your focal point as you are turning until you are finished with the curve. Very important on blind corners, make your eyes look around the corner as far as you can, imagine where the rest of the curve goes, get a feel for it. Also when in a turn, take into account if the curve is getting tighter or wider (increasing vs. decreasing radius) as you are entering and riding through it.
cool, im not good at explaining stuff like that. i just do it naturally as you siad. but yes, i agree, slow down a bit.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I'd look at where you want to go instead of scanning. If you scan you're going to deviate from your course. If you look forward to where you want to go, that's where your bike is going to go. Plain and simple.
i do both, scan and look into my turn at the same time. like i said, it works for me.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i have had a close call with some rat looking thing with furry striped tail while riding GMR. Damn thing just stopped right in the center of the road.
Thank you both your your input. I have also done the scanning the road 50 ft thing when i am in the real twisty parts like La Tigo Canyon or the 23 and it does help a ton.
More info everyone, i want to get good at this.
Oh and for the record, i certainly do try to slow it down, especially on areas i do not know. I am a little to old to try to impress anyone so i try to stay within my limits.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
i normally just look where i want to go.. its natural.. i look ahead of where i will be in the following seconds.. is this what your having trouble with wrestlingfan ?

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
To avoid target fixation

In essence then, your Bike will have a tendency to go where you look.
Your hands will follow your eyes. So, to avoid target fixation, you have to keep focusing, if you like, on a positive rather than a negative goal. To be able to do this successfully, you must not be caught by surprise which leads to a high stress situation. To do that successfully, you must be concentrating on the job at hand and not let yourself become distracted.

Expect the unexpected. Like a fast moving bus coming around a blind corner on our side of the road. Have a plan worked out if it happens.

Work out "what if" scenarios. This way you can avoid the high stress driving situations and keep focused on looking at where you want to go.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Target fixation

Target Fixation is real. Your motorcycle goes where you're looking. But why? Your eyes, after all, are not holding the handlebars and you frequently scan directions other than the one you're traveling in without your bike wandering all over the road. Is it magic? Or perhaps an undiscovered law of physics?

The idea that your motorcycle will go where you're looking is merely phenomenon that virtually all drivers (of any kind of vehicle) have experienced before: that if you turn your head you tend to STEER in the direction you're looking. In fact, it might be clearer to simply acknowledge that it is almost impossible to steer in any direction other than the one you are looking at. ALL of your prior experience has taught you how to steer your vehicle where you want it to go. So, if you look where you want to go, you kick in all that prior experience and AUTOMATICALLY steer in that direction.

There is no magic here nor is there a hidden law of physics involved. Your bike (or automobile) TENDS to go in the direction you are looking because, via experience, you have taught yourself to steer, more or less subconsciously.

To take advantage of that phenomenon you merely need to actively look in the direction you want to go - away from danger. The rest is virtually subconscious reaction. Of course it takes more than a turn of your eyes or even your head. You still need to steer away from danger. Since it is HARD to steer away from what you're looking at, and easy (almost automatic) to steer in the direction you are looking, surely it makes sense to look where you want to go.

But we have also been well advised to keep our head and eyes 'up' and pointed at the horizon. Surely looking down will not cause a motorcycle to go down, or will it?

Well, not directly. If you are in a skid, however, and look down the odds are overwhelming that you will go down. That, because you will have failed to actively steer the bike in such a way as to try to keep it upright. But that's only one reason why you should keep your head up and eyes looking at the horizon. The other is that only by doing so can you actively scan for hazards or know, for sure, if your bike is vertical. But that's another story.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i normally just look where i want to go.. its natural.. i look ahead of where i will be in the following seconds.. is this what your having trouble with wrestlingfan ?
Yeah i think so, i guess i am just wondering if my eyes are doing what they should to help me avoid any huge problems.

how about riding track??????
Eventually yes, but too darn expensive right now and i don't know anyone who has that i can have go with to assist.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Eventually yes, but too darn expensive right now and i don't know anyone who has that i can have go with to assist.
my friend, you are so WRONG!!!!!!! We at TrackTactics are giving days away for under $50!

The same way I took you through the 33, I can help you with your first trackday:shakehand

We have some of the best instructors on staff! :cruising:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Patron, you have gained my trust. When is the next one
Do i need new tires? ect. Plus i have seen you guys fly and have thought man i'll never be there

1 - 20 of 22 Posts