Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im confused and I need help everyone. Currently I have a stock shock and fork setup. Im looking for an affordable way to upgrade my current fork. I was looking at getting it resprung with some ohlins springs but while I have it apart what else should i do to make the biggest difference. My main question is, What should I do internally to my oem forks? Im only looking to spend a couple hundred max. Im just looking to get rid of this garbage progressive nonsense. Im welcome to all suggestions, it doesn't have to be Ohlins. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
579 Posts
depends what your problem is, i assume youre too heavy for the stock springing. in that case hell you could do something as simple as changing the oil weight and tune it more to you... find someone who knows suspension well and listen to their suggestions. we cant make informed decisions without knowing the problem.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Im only looking to spend a couple hundred max.
Why do you want to upgrade? Unless you're a dedicated racer, the need to do so is aimless. Or is the above stated the issue?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for not being specific guys. I only weigh about 175 lbs. I don't race yet, but do ride pretty aggresive in the twistys often. Plus track days are in my immediate future. I'm just looking for an affordable way to increase feed back from my front suspension. I've been leaned over fairly far and have had the front tire start sliding out from under me unexpectedly. I've heard from many that the progressive type set up that comes stock in the cbr is junk. Also it can't be the tires because theyre pretty new metzler m3's. Thanks for the responses so far.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'd suggest waiting for track days to see if you really need to upgrade your suspension. IMHO, canyon riding and track riding are two completely different disciplines and it's hard to really tell if you are pushing your stock suspension bits from riding the canyons.

BTW, this is the first time I've ever heard of the stock suspension as "junk". Modern sport bikes come with some pretty amazing components.

What settings are you currently on? Are you mostly having front end issues? Can you be more specific with your front tire sliding issues? Does it happen during corner entry while trail braking?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd suggest waiting for track days to see if you really need to upgrade your suspension. IMHO, canyon riding and track riding are two completely different disciplines and it's hard to really tell if you are pushing your stock suspension bits from riding the canyons.

BTW, this is the first time I've ever heard of the stock suspension as "junk". Modern sport bikes come with some pretty amazing components.

What settings are you currently on? Are you mostly having front end issues? Can you be more specific with your front tire sliding issues? Does it happen during corner entry while trail braking?
While riding the twistys everytime i get pretty close to max lean the front end starts feeling squirrely. I can't really describe the feeling. It's almost as if the bike is fighting me to turn. It doesnt feel very stable. When i referred to the stock system as junk i definitely exaggerated. But from others on this forum, i have learned that the "progressive" style fork thats found on the cbr is pretty wishy washy. I tried to set my suspension up for my weight a while back, but i could have made an error when setting the sag or something with my buddy. Im going this weekend to get it adjusted by someone who knows what theyre doing. Hopefully that helps. I would rather hold off getting a penske double click and a resprung/revalved fork.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
While riding the twistys everytime i get pretty close to max lean the front end starts feeling squirrely. I can't really describe the feeling. It's almost as if the bike is fighting me to turn. It doesnt feel very stable. When i referred to the stock system as junk i definitely exaggerated. But from others on this forum, i have learned that the "progressive" style fork thats found on the cbr is pretty wishy washy. I tried to set my suspension up for my weight a while back, but i could have made an error when setting the sag or something with my buddy. Im going this weekend to get it adjusted by someone who knows what theyre doing. Hopefully that helps. I would rather hold off getting a penske double click and a resprung/revalved fork.
running on stocks can take you up to very fast levels. no offense but i dont think its the suspenion, im pretty sure its you. instead of wasting money on new springs and what not, go to a trackday you will benefit more from that. But what you should do is get your suspesion set for you its like night and day.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure the problem is probably me. I'm definitely not trying to say im outriding the stock set up. However, I am going to get my suspension re-adjusted for my weight in a couple of days so we'll see how much of a difference that makes.

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
For the street don't worry about suspension at your weight, just have it set up by a reputable suspension tuner and call it a day. When you're ready to track or race then upgrade to the revalve and new shock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts