Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know where i can get papers stating that
motorcycle speedometers do read from 5%-10% higher than actual speed? i need this as evidence to fight against a cop. the judge requires this evidence...so far i have called local shops and dealerships and non of them could help me, so does anyone know where i can obtain this information other than getting it straight from the company? i need it by next tuesday.

THanks.

Edit.
for those who wishes to know how i will be using this evidence to defend myself. here is the story. i was pulled over at 2nd street when the officer asked how fast i was going on Russel street...i said 35. he then put me down doing 40 in a 25 zone. today in court he said i was speeding at 40 miles per hour on Russel. i then told the judge that i told the officer i had said 35 but he put down 40, and that the speed i had provided to the officer was based off of my speedometer which reads higher than the actual speed. the officer said i was doing "40" on Russel, so he should have given me a citation for speeding on Russel. but instead he put down the speedlimit for 2nd street (25mph)...where the speed limit of the location of violation said 30 for Russel. So, he cited me the "40" i was going on Russel street for the 25mph zone on 2nd street.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
The only thing I could think of is if you bring it to a dyno and they could somehow show that the actual speed is not the same as what is displayed on the speedo. I don't know how you'll be able to prove it legit in court though.

·
Registered
857 Posts
your speedo shouldnt be really off unless you + or - your sprockets. also if you go to court knowing your speedo is off the judge may ask why you didnt adjust your speed by the % you say it is off. good luck.

D

·
0 Posts
How fast where you going? There's normally a 5mph grace period for speedometer inaccuracies, but the faster you go, the greater the inaccuracy will be.

Don't think there are any sources out there that can be actually used, so the only way you'd be able to prove that your speedo is off would be to record the actual speed on a dyno and the reported speed on the dash at the same time.

Another way would be to look at the engine RPM's at the speed you where ticketed for, then see how they match up on a gear ratio calculator. If it's a decent amount that is shown off, record a video of your bike at said speed, record the RPM's, then bring in a gear chart and show that at ___speed in ___gear at ___speed, you're bike is showing something different then actual speed.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
A little off-topic, but hope this will help...

I'm sorry to say, but it looks like the officer will win. Here are some points to think about: :headscrat

1. Why should the judge take your words over the officer? :police:
2. Who would admit that they are speeding 15+ mph over the speed limit? If I were in your shoe, I would say the same that I'm doing less than what the cop recorded me for. I may speak the truth, but in the judge/cop's eyes, I lied!
3. I would have to agreed with the person in previous post saying that if you know your speedometer was off, why didn't you get that adjusted?

I don't see a winning chance even if you have a legitimate proof that your speedometer was off. He got you speeding using his device, not yours! Therefore, why do you want to do the work for him? Use the laws to your advantage. Example, what device that the cop uses to measure your speed? When was that unit calibrated. He needs to have a documented proof, not just by a word of mouth. Even with this, I'm not even sure if you can still win because you are ALREADY ADMITTED that you were speeding 10 miles over the posted speed limit. You can still take the chance.

Good Luck!

D

·
0 Posts
Regardless of what you can prove, you're boned. Even 35 in a 25 is a 29% inaccuracy, which isn't possible stock. You admitted to 35 in a 25, so even if you can prove that you weren't doing 40mph and the citation was actually on another street then what was written down, you admitted, under oath, to the judge that you where speeding by 35mph. Just take it with a grain of salt, and higher a traffic lawyer if you're afraid of the points on your record and so on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i suppose you didn't read right. the officer said to the judge that he pulled me over for speeding in the 30mph zone...but on the ticket he put down the 25mph speed limit of the location i was pulled over at.

·
Registered
840 Posts
i suppose you didn't read right. the officer said to the judge that he pulled me over for speeding in the 30mph zone...but on the ticket he put down the 25mph speed limit of the location i was pulled over at.

perhaps we read right and just think that you should learn your lesson =P

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
at 40 mph it wont be that much off.

on the dyno with stock sprockets my speedo said 186.
the dyno said 175.

since it is a percentage error that gets greater with speed at 40ish you are looking at maybe a 1-2 mph error.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You guys must not be understanding what he said.

He was actually doing 35 in a 30 on russel road.

He turned onto 2nd street (25mph) when the cop stopped him.

The cop wrote him up for 40 in a 25. If you pay attention, you'll see that the cop added 10mph to his violation. He lowered the speed limit and raised his actual clocked speed.

In this case if he was only doing 35 in a 30 and the 5% accuracy you talk about actually is true, then he wasn't speeding or shouldn't have been pulled over. So, he does have a case, whether he wins it or not is a different story. We all know we are guilty until proven innocent in our country so good luck bro.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Instead of taking it the whole way to court you should have asked the cop if he would be willing to give you disobedience to traffic control devices. Or maybe tell them youll plead guilty if they lower it to that.

No points, lower fine, no insurance increase.

D

·
0 Posts
Then argue that to the judge. Tell them exactly what you said here and demand to see the video from the cars dash cam of him pulling you over. If you're indeed right, it will prove you right and the cop wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How far did you go once you turned onto 2nd street? Was it far enough to be going that fast after you turned?

He pulled me over RIGHT AFTER i rolled from a stop sign...giving me NO TIME whatsoever to do 40. in addition to that, when i asked the judge why the officer did not pull me at the location of violation, the judged asked for an answer. the officer simply said that depending on the environment, he would not want to pull me over at a road where there is no sidewalk and cause traffic. but he did the opposite of that. he pulled me and my passenger over on the side of the road where there is no parking or bike lane...he said he followed me and waited for an appropriate and SAFE location to pull me over, knowing that while he followed me we passed a neighborhood with roadside parkings but didn't pull me there. so i i will be using that against him as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts