Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I wanted so see if I could get some imput from you all about the problems I'm having with my bike. I went out for a ride yesterday afternoon and I did what I always do, turn on the bike and let it idle for a bit while I put my gear on, after a couple of minutes the bike is at 180-190 degrees and I take off. I rode for 2 miles and came to a nice deserted straight so I decided to gun it, I hit redline on 2nd gear and quickly switched to 3rd and then began to slow down. I rode for about 2-3 miles and I begin to feel the bike starting to struggle. I get to a stop light and when the light turns green and I gave it gas the bike turned off on me and would not turn on for the life of me, I tried to re-start but no dice and then my battery died on me (03 model with the "great" charging system) I tried to push start it on 2nd gear and when I popped the clutch, the engine made a very unfamiliar sound and would not turn over so I stopped and called some friends to come and help me.

My friends showed up about 15 minutes later and one of my buddies (who knows bikes up and down) managed to push start it and when he did, the bike made some god-awful clanking sound and the shut it off right away.

We were brainstorming about what it could be and he thought it might something going on with the stator since that's where the noise seemed to come from. We trucked the bike back home and I began to strip her plastics and drained the oil (no metal shavings in there, thank god) and removed the stator cover, but I didn't see anything wrong in there, nothing is loose and there is nothing that seems to be rubbing anywhere.

Now my friend thinks that it might have spun a bearing, he doesn't think that I floated a valve nor toasted a cylinder because of where the noise was coming from, what do you guys think? Bike was not low on oil/antifreeze. The bike also has Honda's extended warranty. Is this crap covered by it? and if so, would the dealer give me crap about having a Jardine pipe on the bike?

I'm so upset, I baby that bike so much and it sucks that it's messed up right now, since I don't have hundreds of dollars to throw in it at the moment. I really hope the Warranty takes care of it.

Sorry for the long post, but I didn't want to miss anything. Thank you guys for any helpful comments you all can give.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sounds like a warranty item. The warranty should cover anything on the bike that is not a "normal wear" item. ie.. It doesn't cover brakes, clutch, fluids, tires. Anything else should be fair game. Don't let the stealership convince you of anything you don't know about.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope dude, I'm kinda strapped for cash right now and cannot afford a high repair bill. I've never dogged my bike or anything, so I'm kinda upset that this happened :-(

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I feel for ya. I hate it when stuff like that happens, especially when youve taken good care of it. If the modified exhaust specifically caused the problem (which I doubt), they might make it difficult, otherwise, the warranty should cover it.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
It's kinda hard to put a finger on something like that without hearing it first hand. I'd test/charge the battery to rule that out and see if she turns over. Next check your battery cables and PIN connectors. If she turns over and sounds normal you can go from there. If you need to take it in a spun bearing will be covered under warranty unless they can prove negligence. A slip-on doesn't void the warranty.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did you try turning the motor over by hand using a rachet and socket on the end of the crank. Which is accessed through the round cover on the clutch casing?
Umm forget fooling with it and take it to the dealer, thats what warranties are for.
Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NewRedRider said:
It's kinda hard to put a finger on something like that without hearing it first hand. I'd test/charge the battery to rule that out and see if she turns over. Next check your battery cables and PIN connectors. If she turns over and sounds normal you can go from there. If you need to take it in a spun bearing will be covered under warranty unless they can prove negligence. A slip-on doesn't void the warranty.
At first I thought the problem might have been the charing system, but not after we push-started the bike and it sounded horrible.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dekon said:
Did you try turning the motor over by hand using a rachet and socket on the end of the crank. Which is accessed through the round cover on the clutch casing?
Umm forget fooling with it and take it to the dealer, thats what warranties are for.
Please keep us posted.
That was my next step, but I decided against it. Don't want to fack it up more than it already is. Bike is going to the dealership this weekend so they can see what's wrong. I'm crossing all my fingers so they don't give me any BS about this not being covered. Sucks having to wait, but that's the closest time I could coordinate with a friend with a truck to take it in.

·
Registered
800 Posts
the slip on wont void the warrenty.... but there is a catch to that

if the problem your having is in related in any-way, shape or form. the dealer can say it was cuz of the pipe for the malfunction. then this is when the warranty would be voided by the dealer. and with dealers today I wounldn't chance it, your better for with putting the stock pipe back on.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zus600rr#388 said:

if the problem your having is in related in any-way, shape or form. the dealer can say it was cuz of the pipe for the malfunction. then this is when the warranty would be voided by the dealer. and with dealers today I wounldn't chance it, your better for with putting the stock pipe back on.
I know man, I might end up doing that just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
zus600rr#388 said:

But there in lies the question. How does a slip-on cause a motor failure. It can't. There is no way they can relate a slip-on to the motor failure, if that's the problem. I wouldn't waste my time putting the stock pipe back on. If the dealer gives you $hit over the pipe take it to another dealer or call Honda directly.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My friend that helped me out with this, knows a couple of employees at my local dealership and he talked to them about and they didn't think it would be a problem, but they were going to find out and get back to him. I'm kind of stuck dealing with that dealership since the closest one is about one hour drive away. I just hope that my bud can pull enough strings here for me that they can just fix it without any hassle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts