Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatz up first off...Well Ive had my bike for about 5 months and just yesterday notice I had a 1inch nail on my rear tire! I called the dealer to see what are my options they told me to take it in and they'll see if it needs to be replaced . My question is can I take it to any tire shop or should I take it to the dealer! There is no air leak and it seams to be a quick fix !! What do you guys suggest!! I don't want to pay 150 for something that could be an easy fix.

Advice is greatly appreciated . Thanks

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Whatz up first off...Well Ive had my bike for about 5 months and just yesterday notice I had a 1inch nail on my rear tire! I called the dealer to see what are my options they told me to take it in and they'll see if it needs to be replaced . My question is can I take it to any tire shop or should I take it to the dealer! There is no air leak and it seams to be a quick fix !! What do you guys suggest!! I don't want to pay 150 for something that could be an easy fix.

Advice is greatly appreciated . Thanks
quick and short asnwers

Patching is possible, but strongly advised against

and non motorcycle shops will not have the equipment needed to work on a motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is the nail in the tread area, or closer to the sidewall? In the past, we would plug a leak in the central part of the tread. There are different kinds of patches, one that looks like an umbrella or the automotive type that looks like a heavy cord. The auto type is under $10 with the tool and easy to install. Using a patch does mess up the speed rating of the tire, but I have used them successfully 9 out of 10 times. The 10th time leaked, so I bought a new tire. Its your call, what are you comfortable with?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Is the nail in the tread area, or closer to the sidewall? In the past, we would plug a leak in the central part of the tread. There are different kinds of patches, one that looks like an umbrella or the automotive type that looks like a heavy cord. The auto type is under $10 with the tool and easy to install. Using a patch does mess up the speed rating of the tire, but I have used them successfully 9 out of 10 times. The 10th time leaked, so I bought a new tire. Its your call, what are you comfortable with?
or worse, what happens if the nail , the plugging, or the patching process damage the chords to the point of failure, and the tire ruptures on the rider mid corner?

·
Registered
653 Posts
patching is fine if you need to get home or something, but it's not something I'd trust for long term use, even if a shop does it. Cars are different, especially since if something happens to the patched one, there are still three good tires, instead of one.

Besides, what's probably gonna happen if you take it to the dealer is, they will tell you that you're gonna need a new tire anyways, then overcharge you to buy one from them. I'd just order a new one and take the wheel off myself and have any cycle shop change the tire. It'll be safer and cheaper that way

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys! It was right on the middle of the tire!! I guess ima take it to the dealer I rather play it safe. Hope all they do is patch it up.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! It was right on the middle of the tire!! I guess ima take it to the dealer I rather play it safe. Hope all they do is patch it up.
you missed the point i think .
you just said you are going to play it safe, yet you said they hope they patch it.

on one hand i assume play it safe means replace the damn tire, but then youre just hoping for a patch.

nonsense.

if you have to patch it than you should just replace it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Replacing the tire is safest. Cheaper is patching if possible. I am running a Buell 1125CR with a patch on the rear tire in the SoCal canyons with no problems, but maybe I'm easier on the throttle than other guys. Just offering alternatives.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Replacing the tire is safest. Cheaper is patching if possible. I am running a Buell 1125CR with a patch on the rear tire in the SoCal canyons with no problems, but maybe I'm easier on the throttle than other guys. Just offering alternatives.
the old saying, " nothing's happened yet" does not imply safety.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you missed the point i think .
you just said you are going to play it safe, yet you said they hope they patch it.

on one hand i assume play it safe means replace the damn tire, but then youre just hoping for a patch.

nonsense.

if you have to patch it than you should just replace it.
You are so right my brotha!!! Thanks for the heads up.I still have to see what way is cheaper buy my own tire and get it installed by a bike shop or the dealer. This sucks though the tire is freaking new!!

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
You are so right my brotha!!! Thanks for the heads up.I still have to see what way is cheaper buy my own tire and get it installed by a bike shop or the dealer. This sucks though the tire is freaking new!!
better to replace a new tire, than potentially replace a new bike, and gear, imo

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily trust your dealer any more than any other independent motorcycle garage or motorcycle tyre business. As with any field of work, there are bad guys, good guys and inbetweeners! You'll quickly get a feeling of who you can trust with your baby, and who you shouldn't trust, by asking around about other riders' experiences.

Chances are, you'll be a good bit cheaper for labour if you go to an independent with a loose tyre. Shop around as well, if you're buying the tyre yourself.

I take the loose wheels in to a small local guy to get my new tyres mounted now. At least then I know that the wheel has been put on right and torqued up correctly...and if it hasn't been done right, I only have myself to blame!

I'm a bit paranoid though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've taken 2 plugged rear tires to the wear bars. One plugged from outside, one from inside. The inside plugged tire was more impressive looking, but the other didnt budge either.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If it went through the tire, a patch will be fine. Always watch your pressure, as usual. Any tire shop can dismount/ mount tires on the wheel. The machines all do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
If it went through the tire, a patch will be fine. Always watch your pressure, as usual. Any tire shop can dismount/ mount tires on the wheel. The machines all do the same thing.
Any shop can mount and dismount them, but you still dont know if the kid changing the tire knows how to do it. Changing a motorcycle tire is a little different than a car tire with a machine.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
No warranty on the tire? I know car dealerships offer warranties against nails and ****... anyways, get a new tire! I would HATE riding around knowing my rear tire has a patch or plug!

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Thanks for the tip guys. Input is greatly appriciated.
The one time this happened to me I just sucked it up and replaced the tire. I get where you are at though it was difficult to replace a virtually brand new tire, but in the end $150 was an easy sacrifice for the insurance of knowing that I had a good back tire under the bike.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts