Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 06 600rr and 05 nismo frontier that has really a short bed. When i put my bike in the bed, the rear tire sits on the tailgate. i was just wondering if anyone thinks the tailgate is strong enough to support it, or is it just toooo dangerous? is there anyway around this or am i pretty much screwed?

·
Registered
805 Posts
It should give you a weight limit somewhere for the max load on the tailgate. I have never heard of anyone having any problems with resting that much weight on the tail. it would only be 150-200lbs, just make sure it's strapped down well so that it can't slip out the back!

that would sicken me to see on the road

·
Registered
939 Posts
this might be an option http://www.bed-extender.com/

i used to sell these here in the UK; might be worth considering but if you are concerned about the load on the tailgate i would be very surprised it you ran into any trouble. They would be designed to take the payload of the load area.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i have an 03 and i put it in a 98 tacoma short bed bottom line truck the rear wheel also layed on the tailgate no problem just kno how to tie down your bike if you dont shoot me a pm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should give you a weight limit somewhere for the max load on the tailgate. I have never heard of anyone having any problems with resting that much weight on the tail. it would only be 150-200lbs, just make sure it's strapped down well so that it can't slip out the back!

that would sicken me to see on the road
ill check out that limit when i get home.

but yeah thats what im most scared of, since the tailgate down, i dont know if i cant trust the tiedowns from holding it in place.:dontknow:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 07 GMC with a 6' bed and a tool box so mine sits right at the back of the bed but the tailgate won't shut I use the Canyon Dancer for the front and 2 wratchet straps on the back never had a problem. I took my truck out onto the beach with the bike in the back never moved.

http://www.canyondancer.com/

·
Registered
108 Posts
you should be fine with the rear on the tailgate, I transported mine from the dealer that way with no problems. just tie it down correctly

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put my bike in a 87 nissan king cab and was able to close the gate, Just put the front tire into the right corner at an angle and used 4 straps without a problem

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
my brother and I used to transport my SV and his RC51 in the back of his Tacoma all the time. both tires rested on the tailgate and it was fine.

we always made sure to secure the rear wheels though, just to make sure they didn't move around.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
put the bike in on an angle in the bed?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yeah, a tailgate should hold a small load like that. Get a friend who is 200 lbs or so and have him jump up and down on your tail gate lol, that will confirm or bust the myth! The tail gate on most trucks will support alot more than you think. If you really don't trust it, get a piece of thick plywood (3/4" and lay it in the bed. (you might have to trim it to fit your truck) That will disperse the weight a little across the tailgate/bed.

Tie the sucker down good and just run your straps that hold the rear of the bike forward to the front of the bed to keep it from sliding back at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts