Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 CBR 600RR with +18K miles
Full Arata Ti system
Pipercross air filters
PCIIIUSB
Acumen Gear indicator

Today when riding some twisties, the bike was running fine at speed, and lean angle to lean angle, so I don't think it could be the Bank Angle Sensor. After a short break when cruising to the next destination at about 60 mph, twice the power delivery failed, RPM dropped, and all lights on the dash were on. Basically the bike died as if the engine cut-off switch was pressed. I had to turn the key to turn off and then restart the bike when rolling. The first time I even hit the starter button to get it revived. The second time after turning the key, I was able to pop the clutch to get it revived.

On my way home this did not happen again.

I recently had the battery exposed when reinstalling the plastics from my trackday bodywork. A ratchet tool touched the red terminal and a electrical current arc slightly burned the plastic cover for the battery terminal. Could this be the cause?

What else could have caused this? My guess would be something electrical.
What can I do to check this out?
Can someone put up a picture of what needs to be done to run diagnostic codes?

Thank you for any helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same thing happened to me... only while at high rpm's. Basically when ever I gunned it... it would die. I had a feeling the valves needed adjusting so I took it in and that was the problem... Never happened since even during full throttle.

Dude it happened to me for the first time doing a wheelie... it sucked. At 18k mi you should get you valves adjusted anyway. Hope it works out man.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks hopefully that's it. I'm planning on having a valve adjustment soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
your bike sucks. sell that junk and get an italian bike. lol.

wanna head up to 9 on thursday? i'm thinking of taking half day off to go ride since the weather is so freakin' gorgeous. still 50/50 tho, depending on my workload the day of.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your bike sucks. sell that junk and get an italian bike. lol.

wanna head up to 9 on thursday? i'm thinking of taking half day off to go ride since the weather is so freakin' gorgeous. still 50/50 tho, depending on my workload the day of.
Nice first post Johnny. Let's ride! Gimme a call.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yes, bro sound like the problem could be your valve timing or valve spring

·
Registered
180 Posts
My last 03 did the same thing. Not at any certain time just could be cruizing along and it would die. Cycle the key and it would be fine for awhile. Mine ended up being a bad Power Commander. I think there was a recall on them can;t remember the numbers that are on the bad ones I'm sure you can find info on here somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts