Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 07 cbr600rr my key recently broke and now I can't remove my back seat. I have a spare that I made on my personal key machine but it only works in the ignition , for some reason it doesn't work on the seat lock. Does anyone know how to remove the seat without **cking it up? I plan on ordering a new key but my tail light burnt out and I need to replace it but the seat has to come off to change it I'm pretty sure. Any help would be appreciated

· Registered
819 Posts
A nice thing about the 600RR is it doesn't have a cable to release the seat lock, those often fail, pop out of their little retainers so don't release the seat etc.

But with a cable system as long as you can get to the cable and pull it the seat pops off, the RR has the key directly turning the lock latch.

You can trigger this by loosening the tail fairing so you get a gap that allows you to reach the seat latch with a long flathead screwdriver. Then with patience and a flashlight move the latch to release the seat. I did this several years ago and it did work but remember it as a real pita.

Good luck.

· Registered
394 Posts
If your key works in the ignition and not the rear seat lock then it's binding. When I hang 2 helmets off my hooks under the seat it's difficult and sometimes impossible to turn the key to unlock it. The solution is to push down and hold at the end of the seat above the lock and see if it helps free the key to rotate and unlock the trunk.

· Super Moderator
11,724 Posts
If your key works in the ignition and not the rear seat lock then it's binding. When I hang 2 helmets off my hooks under the seat it's difficult and sometimes impossible to turn the key to unlock it. The solution is to push down and hold at the end of the seat above the lock and see if it helps free the key to rotate and unlock the trunk.
That's a good thought. I was wondering if someone had replaced the ignition in the past and now there were two different keys.

· Registered
819 Posts
That's a good thought. I was wondering if someone had replaced the ignition in the past and now there were two different keys.
I had a related situation this week.

Bought an auction bike that was listed as having a key. It did, but not one that would turn the ignition or open the gas tank. But it did work on the seat lock. This is the more common situation I'm told by the locksmith. The ignition lock has 8 tumblers, the gas cap 6 and the seat lock 4 (don't remember the exact numbers). So it's more likely for a key to work on the simpler locks and not work on the 'higher' ones like the ignition.

The OP has the opposite problem so something is binding or two different locks.

Fairly easy to check. Look at the bottom of the ignition at the retention screws. If they are normal bolts that you don't need special tools to remove then the ignition has been changed. As I recall the 600RR comes with the type of bolts that break off at a certain torque so no tool will get them out, just drilling and an easy out.

· Registered
394 Posts
I can verify my 08 has tamper proof bolts mounting the ignition. When I changed by whole triple set I had to have a shop tap and remove them since I did not want to remove the harness to dismount the whole triple the I replaced them with regular bolts..

I had a related situation this week.

Bought an auction bike that was listed as having a key. It did, but not one that would turn the ignition or open the gas tank. But it did work on the seat lock. This is the more common situation I'm told by the locksmith. The ignition lock has 8 tumblers, the gas cap 6 and the seat lock 4 (don't remember the exact numbers). So it's more likely for a key to work on the simpler locks and not work on the 'higher' ones like the ignition.

The OP has the opposite problem so something is binding or two different locks.

Fairly easy to check. Look at the bottom of the ignition at the retention screws. If they are normal bolts that you don't need special tools to remove then the ignition has been changed. As I recall the 600RR comes with the type of bolts that break off at a certain torque so no tool will get them out, just drilling and an easy out.

· Registered
885 Posts
Is key-code stored anywhere else besides that tag?
I need to get new keys made for my '07 and don't have that tag.
The one key I have is pretty worn, so don't want to make copy of that.

· Registered
1,093 Posts
Is key-code stored anywhere else besides that tag?
I need to get new keys made for my '07 and don't have that tag.
The one key I have is pretty worn, so don't want to make copy of that.
The specialized guys can cut you a key just from the barrel ( I used the ignition), no spare needed.. I found a guy in Warsaw on ebay some 9 years ago, he also did the immobilizer pairing paid like 700 bux with two way shipping, but I guess u don't need that for US bikes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts