Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ... here's the story
1am in the middle of nowhere (exit 62) on the LIE (I-495). I am cruising in the HOV lane and the road is completely empty. Another bike gets on from the entry ramp and pulls up next to me. We are probably doing 70mph in a 55 at this point. The other biker looks at me and guns it. He pulled away from me as if the RR had nothing. (He had a ZX10) I start to chase after him. We get upto about 90 and he stands on his pegs and pops a wheelie. He rides the wheelie to about 110 and I stupidly chase after him just to see what he does next. I am in awe. We slow down to about 75 and next thing I know, I see cherries in the mirror from an unmarked cop car. I am sure he is just going to pull over the ZX10 but am wrong. we both get pulled over and are left on the side of the road for 45 minutes as the cop scans our licenses. We both had expired permits and were supposed to have our bikes towed. He let us off on that account. In the end i got 2 tickets. 1 for speeding (110 in a 55) and another for wreckless driving (Operated above said vehicle with less than 2 wheels on the ground at 110mph). Now I honestly didn't do a wheelie at any speed. I pointed that out to the cop who replied "Well I thought I saw you do one." I have a court date in August and need some advice. I wasn't cruising at 110. It was a short burst for about 5 seconds. Does anyone know a good lawyer? The court is in central islip NY. I only have one ticket on my license so far and that was for "unsafe lane change" when I didnt use my indicators to change lanes on the FDR. Long story short .... I borrowed a Lamborghini from a friend and got a ticket within 20 minutes. Cop just wanted to pull over the Lambo. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
A friend of mine has his Lawer on his payroll. LOL. He's got over 40 speeding and wreckless driving tickets and only 2 went on his liscense. In most cases just paying a lawyer $200 will get you out of the ticket and it doesn't usually matter how good the lawyer is. I DID SAY MOST CASES AND NOT ALL..... Most judges say the heck with it,you've paid enough for hiring a lawyer....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ouch. I was in that EXACT same position except the other retard, I mean rider, was on a GSX-R1000. But when the cherries went on both him (doing the wheelies at redicoulus speeds) and myself (chasing to keep up) were pinned at 120mph & he fled the scene. So I just kept pace.

Always need to have an exit plan. I didn't when I got cought in that situation so as if I was taken over by some psycho fight or flight syndrome I fled.

I'm not a lawyer or any of that jazz but I've had my fair share of run-ins. Here are my suggestions.

1) go get your riding permit immediately.
2) go back, same day, finish your liscence. it takes 1hour max total time & u can do it all in a day. DO IT... Don't cause yourself more trouble going to court to fight a ticket and get more crap slapped back in your face by a pissed off judge.

You do not 'absolutely need' a lawyer in this case if you study for it correctly. I've blown speeding tickets out of the water. What you can do is study up on police radar/laser GPS based speed prediction system. I suggest researching the training requirements for use of the system, basic knowledge OF the system, and requirements of testing & replacing units in police vehicles.

There are a crapload of angles you can beat down your average police officers speeding ticket. Research. Research. Research.

Or you can just go to court, be moraly responsible for your actions, admit your guilty of speeding but were not doing wheelies. Don't change your story and see how long they take your liscence from ya.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
for 110 in a 55 i doubt any judge would let you off "just for hiring a lawyer". you might avoid jail or losing your license for a year, but i seriously doubt you'll get off on that, even if it was just for a few seconds. if the cop says in court, i thought i saw you, and you testify it was the other rider and he admits it, you can probably get off on the second one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
silveRRocket said:
A friend of mine has his Lawer on his payroll. LOL. He's got over 40 speeding and wreckless driving tickets and only 2 went on his liscense. In most cases just paying a lawyer $200 will get you out of the ticket and it doesn't usually matter how good the lawyer is. I DID SAY MOST CASES AND NOT ALL..... Most judges say the heck with it,you've paid enough for hiring a lawyer....
Most judges & police officers are not willing to waste their time trying to prove you wrong if you take the action to get a lawyer. OR. If you take the time to study and come equiped ready to blow your ticket away. I have incured over 20 traffic violations & have worked all but 2 off my record. One of which is about to fall off. Your tickets however they may fight back. 110 in a 55 is quite excessive.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
you're an idiot for chasing him. you'd be lucky to get out of the ticket with traffic school. you'll need a lawyer and I wish I could help you with one in NY/NJ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have a lawyer to recommend?? Any help would be appreciated. This happened in Long Island, New York. Suffolk County

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Get an attorney. 100+ mph tickets stay on your license, if it's like CA, for 10 years and your insurance will SKYROCKET.

·
Registered
513 Posts
so poor you , without a license , and me to give you advice , hmmmmm.........screw you for giving us that at least spent the past learning how to properly handle our bikes , and ( hopefully ) , give our sport a good name , the crap one we've gotten . it's squids like you that need to get a clue . hope the fines hurt .

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ask your friend with the Lambo to pay the fines. Other than that you're screwed. From the judge's point of view, your some young punk on a crotch rocket who got busted speeding and stunting. Think that judge is going to believe you, or one of the city's finest? A lawyer would just be another bill to pay. Man up and take it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
that cop cut u a break. u lucky he didnt arrest both u morons for unlicensed operation. u didnt even have a permit. lawyers cant help u. u'll just dish out more money for the lawyer and also pay for the ticket. u might be able to fight the speeding and hope that the cop doesnt bring proof of expired permits on the day of the appeals

1 - 14 of 14 Posts