Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok - i need your help again.. i was trying to save a few bucks and change my own oil.. i stripped the crap out of the oil drain plug. i was working from the right side.. i was pushing down to loosen the plug, but it wasn't budging.. i guess i over tighten it the first time i changed the oil (even though i used a torque wrench).. question. am i going the right direction - pushing down from right side of bike? i at first used a socket wrench, but now I been using visegrips which really stripped the crap out of it.. any suggestions?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry, its the other way around. If your working from the kickstand side you'll actually be tightening it by going down.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excel said:
When looking at the head of a bolt

Clockwise Tightens
Counter-Clockwise Loosens

I'm not totally sure but you might actually be tightening it.

If your working from the kickstand side of the bike, then "down" will loosen it, but if your working from the other side it'll be tightening it.
hmm.. i've been doing the opposite.. but i think i'm going the correct way.. i'm on the right side (other side from kick stand).. i can't get the booger off.. the vice grip stripped it pretty good.. will the head of the screw break off?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
lefty loosey
rigthy tighty...

depends on where you're "pushing down"... if the wrench is on the right side of the plug - then you are tightening it... if you are pushing down on the left side of the plug - you are loosening it...

good luck

·
Registered
66 Posts
risky_analyst said:
hmm.. i've been doing the opposite.. but i think i'm going the correct way.. i'm on the right side (other side from kick stand).. i can't get the booger off.. the vice grip stripped it pretty good.. will the head of the screw break off?
You are going the correct way, sorry was a little tired and didn't have my bike in front of me :p

Not sure why that thing is so hard to get off though.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
If the head is stripped, get a hacksaw and cut a slot in it, then use an impact driver with a flathead to try to get it out. If that doesn't work, drill it and helicoil.

*edit*
also might try soaking it with penetrating oil for a while first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try using something for leverage. There's not a whole lot of space to work with under there but a hollowed out pipe is perfect if you can still get a good grip on the bolt. If you just "can't" get enough space to work with, try the "hammer assist" method :)

Lock down tight on that puppy with your vice grips... and hammer the handle of em and see if that will break it loose.

·
Registered
428 Posts
hammers? wow hammers for hacks i'd say. helicoil?? his bolt is stripped not his oil pan. Just go to a hardware store and get the special sockets (extractors) that are actually reverse thread inside them, you simply tap on the correct size socket and as you loosen the oil pan bolt the socket bites down even harder onto the bolt. Just make sure your turning the right way. And no penetrating oil will not help unless your bike is rusted together

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes - thanks for not thrashing on me.. well here's an update.. i tried the vice grip and it really tore the head to pieces.. now the sockets won't fit on it.. the head is chipped, and i'm running out of ideas..

·
Registered
428 Posts
^^ dude go to Sears or somewhere they have sets of different sized bolt extractors, they wont fit on perfectly, the tighter the better then just tap them on and remove the bolt

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey - i'm onto my next alternative.. i'm taking it into a shop.. i talk to them, and they said that they would just "drill it out". i asked about if metal scraps would get into the oil pan, and they said no .. they said they don't drill all the way in.. question: how does this techinque work?

·
Registered
428 Posts
they use "easy outs" another form of an extractor. They drill a hole into the center of the bolt then they put a reverse thread bit into the drilled hole, so as they lossen the bit the bites down for a sure grip then loosens the bolt.

·
Registered
757 Posts
i wouldn't do the easy out method i would go with a external extractor b4 u take it to a shop try tappin the bolt with a hammer or somethin pound a socket on it and break that beater off there worst comes to worst ur goin to twist the head off then u have to try n easy out then if that dont work ur goin to have to drill the bolt out and tap new threads.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
davedog665 said:
i wouldn't do the easy out method i would go with a external extractor b4 u take it to a shop try tappin the bolt with a hammer or somethin pound a socket on it and break that beater off there worst comes to worst ur goin to twist the head off then u have to try n easy out then if that dont work ur goin to have to drill the bolt out and tap new threads.
i did a search on external extractors on sears, but it only came up with drill types.. the hex shaped head is now looking like a dome or actually less than a dome.. my vice grips have a hard time getting a good grip.. would the shop just saw off the remaining head when they drill it out? also, i was going to take it to a know bike ship here in houston, but if they mess up and metal shavings get into the oil pan, that would be really bad.. should i just take it to the honda dealer?

·
Registered
428 Posts
davedog665 said:
as i stated on my earlier posts about "external socket-style extractors". The shops will result to an "easy-out method" in there last attempts. And when an easy is used properly it will not get shavings into the engine. And whats with all you guys saying beating stuff with hammers.."pound, beat, break!" :(

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Dam, that suxors...
What did you try and use to loosen it?
Did you accidentally locktite the drain plug on the last change?
Is the crush washer still there?
It shouldn't have been that tight, especially if you torqued it down to 20ft/lbs.
Stick to using a 6-10" long 3/8" Ratchet + long 12mm socket, hex shaped not the circle one with a million teeth.
Good luck, hope you can get it out without going to the dealership.($70-$90 an hour)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts