Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 04 600rr brand new in 2004, its only got 1000 miles on it and about 5 batteries. Ever since I have owned this thing when I ride my bike for any extended period of time the battery will die. its like my charging system doesnt work. I have had about 4 or 5 new batts. and they all do the same. Now is it something with this particular bike or do I need to take it to my dealer to have them look at it?

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you've really gone through 5 batteries already I'd say it must be the charging system. The service manual tells you how to test the charging system to see if it's functioning properly.

C

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
faulty voltage regulator/rectifier. These things will go out randomly especially on the Hondas for sum reason. Some will last 200 miles some will last 40,000 miles. pick up a new one or used from the local junk yard or e-bay and of course ANOTHER battery and your good to go ...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Good stuff, I wanted to post up screens of the service manual pages but I don't have it on this computer. Your posts do pretty much outline everything the manual has to say anyway.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
APEX_600RR said:
faulty voltage regulator/rectifier. These things will go out randomly especially on the Hondas for sum reason. Some will last 200 miles some will last 40,000 miles. pick up a new one or used from the local junk yard or e-bay and of course ANOTHER battery and your good to go ...
Yep, when the R/R overheats or simply goes out, the voltage output fluctates outside the batteries design capabilities and eventaully damages the cells. Make sure you get an R/R with a heat shield. The '03 models didn't have them and had more problems. They're very easy to swap out.

·
Registered
617 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Make sure you get an R/R with a heat shield. The '03 models didn't have them and had more problems. They're very easy to swap out.
Yep. I replaced mine with a used '04-'05 one that I got for $50 off of ebay. It's a direct replacement.

·
Registered
617 Posts
DethMetal Jeff said:
Good stuff, I wanted to post up screens of the service manual pages but I don't have it on this computer. Your posts do pretty much outline everything the manual has to say anyway.
I went ahead and made some screen shots. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts