Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just received in the mail a carbon fiber tank cover from Tyga and it doesn't quite fit. Any suggestions on how to make it fit? Is it possible to make the holes in the tabs a little bigger or would doing this ruin the CF? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The first time I took off my tank and tried to put it back on, it was a b!tch to get the two front mounts to line up.

My only suggestion is to have someone press down and forward on it while you wiggle the mounting bolt towards the hold. Turn the bolt with your hand or a socket extension only, not with the wrench itself (you can strip bolts really easily like this, but you won't have the strength to do it without a lever)

If that doesn't work, WD-40 the gas tank gasket as well as you can to make sure it slips all the way down on it.

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
It's normal for it to hard to mount to the frame. Like he said just push down and forward. I'd get some T-Handle allen wrenches. Mine are from lowes. I push the bolt in at an angle to get some leverage and then straighten it up before i thread it in. Be careful because if you strip the threads on the frame you are in trouble.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
dremel, or small round diamond file.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
This thread needs pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle app
The tank cover has a rubber grommet at the yellow dot that has a metal sleeve. This allowed the bolt to thread into the frame and the tank cover to be essentially rubber mounted.

The arrows show the direction you need to push (fairly forceful, I might add) and the yellow dot shows the location of the grommet/sleeve and bolt.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, Pushed it pretty hard and I come close, if the gomets where not there I would be able to do it. I'm afraid to push too hard and break the carbon fiber. I just bought a dremel to make the holes bigger but wouldn't the carbon fiber start peeling if try to make the holes bigger?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so I was able to fit the tank and received lowers and uppers from tekarbon. PITA to fit. I am still waiting on the front fearing so I can put everything together. So far by just test fitting it without the front fearing I see that upper fearing does not line up with the tank holes. I come close but It doesnt fit how it should. The tabs from the uppers are a piece of ****, they dont catch in the holes. Someone told me I could build the tabs with fiberglass but I have never done anything with fiberglass before. Any advise please?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.