Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forg
17,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have to do a paper for my writing class on work related themes and I decided to either do why police don’t chase motorcycles or why police target sports cars and that. I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on this, yea I know I’m being dumb for posting it on here, but I figured it was a shot.
I found some post online about a kid dying and his mom suing the police department so I figured this would be one point in my paper. I need three or more point in my paper, can you guys help me…

Btw I would post this on the off topic part but for some reason I can start forms there

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would make your thesis for the motorcycles vs. LE debate a little more broad for more arguments:

People who ride motorcycles, especially sport bikes, are clearly more targeted for citation and/or "unlawful harassment" by biased law enforcement resulting in a negative view of the biker community as a whole; granted there are a few reckless riders that deserve their citations or jail time, but for the most part, bikers have unfairly been under attack from law enforcement, especially in this sagging economy.

Use that as your thesis, or something like it. Cover ALL your points you can think of, you'll have more options as to what arguments to present in your paper. Good luck!

TO ANY LE: No offense, we need you guys to live in a safe environment. I appreciate your un-selfish dedication, just not when some bad apple gives me a BS ticket :)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hmm... I've got more tickets per mile driven in my 1.8L Sentra than on my bike, and the ticket I got on my bike was because I broke the law. Not sure what you're point is...

IMO, sports cars and bikes aren't targeted more; if anything, they just break more laws because it's easier too with a high performance machine. BUT I see close to a dozen people pulled over every single day and there's never a disproportionate number of sports cars/bikes to regular cars.

It seems like for a "work related theme" paper, you could find something a lot less subjective and a lot more relevant to the topic you've been given.

·
17,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... I've got more tickets per mile driven in my 1.8L Sentra than on my bike, and the ticket I got on my bike was because I broke the law. Not sure what you're point is...

IMO, sports cars and bikes aren't targeted more; if anything, they just break more laws because it's easier too with a high performance machine. BUT I see close to a dozen people pulled over every single day and there's never a disproportionate number of sports cars/bikes to regular cars.

It seems like for a "work related theme" paper, you could find something a lot less subjective and a lot more relevant to the topic you've been given.
ya i got you. thanks though

·
Registered
41 Posts
for point number 2 you could try to look up a recent chase in charlotte.
happened about a week ago. bike ran, cop chased, cop hit another car and killed the driver, bike/rider not found.

·
17,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for point number 2 you could try to look up a recent chase in charlotte.
happened about a week ago. bike ran, cop chased, cop hit another car and killed the driver, bike/rider not found.
wow...bad luck

·
Registered
625 Posts

this. i drive a bright red sports car and a sport bike and i have never been pulled over when i wasnt breaking the law. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Since you asked

I think you will have a lot better luck sticking to a topic that is more factual and less subjective. Of your two choices that would be the "Why cop's don't chase motorcycles". I say that because it is a fact (according to what I've read online at least) that some departments have a policy against chasing motorcycles. The reasons however are pretty cut and dry so I'm not sure how much you're going to be able to run with that unless you can make your paper more of debate over the merits of such a policy - at least that way it's easy to drag in both sides of the argument and document some actual cases both ways.

The idea of saying that cop's "target" sports cars however is wading into an area where you're mostly going to get precious little hard data but a lot of opinion and hot air. You may be able able to pull data that shows a higher proportion of "sports cars" getting ticketed but no way to show that they were 'targeted'. Let's face it, we ride/drive fast things because we want to go fast and that is the best way to get the attention of the LEO's in the area.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You drive a domestic... but you ride a crotch rocket so you are on both sides of the fence. Many of us come from places where if you drive a camaro with straight pipes and ride a harley the cops look the other way whereas if you have an import car and a cbr you're a magnet. I get pulled over for a stock exhaust in my car because it looks "flashy". Not entirely sure what the exterior of my car has to do with the noise emitted but for some reason it's relevant. I've gotten pulled over 22 times in my car which is the biggest reason it's for sale right now. Never gotten a ticket because I'm never doing anything wrong. It's always because my car stands out. I ride my bike slow and low rpm and they don't give me **** so I won't complain. I see a lot of unfair discrimination in my part of the country though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I dispatch for Washington State Patrol and from what I've heard, most troopers will not get in a pursuit with a motorcycle because its a huge liability issue. When the biker ends up crashing at the end, who ends up looking bad? The trooper that was chasing them. It is also lots of paperwork just to say "in pursuit" on the air. To get in pursuit of someone just for speed or a license plate issue is not worth it. Stolen vehicles, robbery suspects, people taking off from a stop, etc are what pursuits are for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts