Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my rr apart so I could do the air box mod and replace the factory filter with the BMC race filter...Well everything is back together, but the tank fairing will not fit properly...Ive tried many methods that I have searched on this forum, but none are working.

1) Ive tried taking the cap off and mounting the fairing and then replacing the cap.
2) Ive put grease on the seal and tried shifting the fairing back and forth
3) Ive put tape on the inside seal and tried putting the fairing on and then removing the tape

ALL the above ended up in the same situation and its starting to frustrate me pretty bad. The tank will just not fit properly on the seal. The back (closer to the seat) is fitted correctly, but the top (near the handlebars) it is not flush with the tank cap. Its about 1/4" gap and I can not get it to go down.

Since thats that mounting right, my two upper fairings are not snapping in to the tank and causing a gap and its driving me nuts!

Please someone help bc I take this bish to Honda.

Here are the pics:
Notice the Gap?

Hard to tell, but the upper fairing will not snap in completely and stay attached to tank fairing...Pic shows gap where they meet

·
Registered
991 Posts
Is your actual gas tank seated down properly? You could have got a hose pinched or something under there that is lifting the tank just enough to set you off. That would be my guess.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe everything is good under there...do the tanks have any play in them once they are bolted down? After I bolted it back, I could lift it slightly and it seems the bracket holding it is made to have a little bit of play in it...The bolts were not getting any tighter...

I just dont think I should be having this much trouble with it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
popping the tank off doesnt take that long. Just lift it up and make sure the hoses are in order. You dont even have to take the two bolts off the rear of the tank, just pivot it up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just dont see how that could cause the fairing to not go on...The tank is bolted in the way its supposed too. If a hose was wedged in, I couldnt bolt the tank down. The fairing also bolts into place but just wont go over the tank cap all the way.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any more ideas? I took the seal completely off and tried putting tank fairing on, but it still left a gap!? What gives? It was on there perfect before filter, but now it wont go on at all...The gap isnt what bothers me...its the dang upper fairings that wont stay hooked in to the tank fairing...

I NEED HELP!

·
Registered
991 Posts
not just the fairing, did you take the whole tank off? there is obviously some difference in the way the tank is sitting and the way the tank fairing is sitting.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I took it all apart again today...Nothing is in the way...Also, took it to Honda and they just scratched their head and said "hmmmm..I dont know. Good Luck":banghead:

Here are the pics:
Notice the Gap?

Hard to tell, but the upper fairing will not snap in completely and stay attached to tank fairing...Pic shows gap where they meet

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mounting the tank, then mounting the tank fairing, then the upper fairing...Thats the only way to do it, because you will not be able to bolt in certain bolts if you do it any other way.

lol i know this... just making sure you aren't making a simple mistake like i always catch myself doing. Good luck man!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I am not sure how but from your picture i can tell you the tank itself is sitting up to high on the front side (side closest to the handlebars). The back of the tank obviously cant move but something is keeping the tank high but just a couple degrees. I cant tell you any more without farting with it myself.

The other thing is with fairings sometimes you gotta be a little firm with them. I know I am stating the obvious but have you tried just pressing down really hard on top the tank right there to get it to seat?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe there is a rubber seal on that goes around the metal gas cap. When I took mine off I had trouble with this fitting so I removed the rubber cover (I use aftermarket fairings so fitment was always an issue).

In you case, does the rubber o-ring cause the plastic tank from coming all the way down? If it does you may need to use a little soapy water to make the ring slip down easier.

·
Registered
254 Posts
:+1:
Dude - if all 4 bolts go in, your tank is fine.
Your plastic tank COVER is the issue.
And it looks decently centered, but there's a thick rubber ring around the filler cap as noted, which you need to really frig with to get the plastic around it, without it bunching up or twisting in there (it keeps gas and water from getting underneath, it's important to get it right!).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe there is a rubber seal on that goes around the metal gas cap. When I took mine off I had trouble with this fitting so I removed the rubber cover (I use aftermarket fairings so fitment was always an issue).

In you case, does the rubber o-ring cause the plastic tank from coming all the way down? If it does you may need to use a little soapy water to make the ring slip down easier.

Ive tried every trick to get it to fit...Nothing it letting it go down...It will go down but it comes right back up...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:+1:
Dude - if all 4 bolts go in, your tank is fine.
Your plastic tank COVER is the issue.
And it looks decently centered, but there's a thick rubber ring around the filler cap as noted, which you need to really frig with to get the plastic around it, without it bunching up or twisting in there (it keeps gas and water from getting underneath, it's important to get it right!).

As noted in the first post and recent ones, I have tried, tried, and tried some more to fit the cover over the seal...Ive worked on it 3 days in a row now with no luck...Maybe I need to mess with it some more.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My suggestions (outside of the obligatory "frig with it until it's in there or totally destroyed" :banghead:)
1. Schooze a little grease or silicone oil on the rubber piece
2. Wiggle the tank cover striaght down onto it (as much as possible), twisting if you can to the rubber from folding over.
3. Once you get it started decently, you have to manipulate the rubber piece with a small instrument (flat, no sharp edges - such as a thin flathead screwdriver w/ masking tape over it, or any random plastic thingy you find around) to untwist/unjam it in the right places, then push the cover the rest of the way down.
4. Gentle thunking by hand is always helpful.

It took me a few tries to do mine last time, and I ended up chipping a little paint off the plastic. I despise plastic bodywork!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts