Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im basically stuck between a rock and a hard place so i figured you guys would be able to help out. im 17 and about to turn 18 in february. Im hoping to get a bike pretty soon. already took the msf course when i was 16 and have been doing things the right way. So i brought up buying a bike to my parents. my step father has a harley ultra classic and kawasaki concours 14. i see him ride all the time so you could see why i wouldnt love bikes too. I
ve saved up enough money and approach them with the "i wanna buy a bike". and they were more than enthusiastic but bam. i was told i could only get a cruiser and my passion lies with sport bikes. They tell me that i dont have enough experience on a bike to get a sport bike yet ive ridden on his "sport bike".
So im asking how do you think id be able to convince him??
i was hoping to start with a 600cc but now i guess im willing to start as low a 250 so i can be riding...

any advice???? :wave:

p.s cruiser is not an option lol

·
Administrator
51,155 Posts
You wanna show maturity tell them you will start on a small displacement
bike such as a 250 cc bike and you will be riding with gear all the time
and promise them you wont be moving to a bigger bike until you have enough exp
put that offer on the table and see what happens

G

·
When you're 18, they can't tell you what to do. Get a bike and gear, and prove them wrong. Show them you're a responsible rider, you're safe, and always be level headed when riding. It'll take some time, but they'll come around and see that they where wrong. It took me nearly a year to convince my parents to let me get a bike, even though I was 18. They came around and finally did, and now they couldn't be happier that I proved them wrong.

A Ninja 250 would be good to start on though. They can't really complain much about a 250, because most cruisers have much more power then that, and you still win with it being a sport bike.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
And they're right. How long have you been driving? You're young, we all have fun when we're young, and Florida is not the place you want to get caught making a mistake by the police.

I won't go into that, though. However, starting on a 250 or 500 is the smartest choice regardless of what your parents think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive been riding for about a year. on and off though.. i figure a small displacement should convince them. they just give sport bikes a bad reputation, saying that ill kill myself. thats kinda ignorant considering thousands ride and still manage to live.
everyone ive asked said that id want a bigger bike so i didnt want to lose any money in purchasing something smaller.

how old were you when got your first bike and what bike was it?

G

·
ive been riding for about a year. on and off though.. i figure a small displacement should convince them. they just give sport bikes a bad reputation, saying that ill kill myself. thats kinda ignorant considering thousands ride and still manage to live.
everyone ive asked said that id want a bigger bike so i didnt want to lose any money in purchasing something smaller.

how old were you when got your first bike and what bike was it?
Average cruiser riders...lol
I was 18 and got my '08 600RR. Been riding my whole life though. Got it only in mid March.

G

·
Unless his parents do the "Live under my roof, live by my rules" thing like most do
I'm still under that ****. It's all about convincing them. It takes a lot for parents to actually kick a kid out...hell, I just beat the **** out of my brother 'cause he drank my Mt. Dew and I'm still here, lol.
Don't mess with a man's Mt. Dew.

·
Registered
372 Posts
my dad pulled the whole live under my roof live by my rules thing when i was 18. well his rule happened to be no sportbikes, so i moved out and bought a 06 600rr back when they were brand new. a bunch of crap happened between us and...... well lets just say now he rides HIS own sportbike over to MY house. lol

but i do agree with the starting out at a 250 or something. i learned on dirtbikes ever since i was little.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am turning 16 very soon and I would like to buy a sportbike I have ridden four wheelers and dirtbikes since i was around four and I was thinkinga 600rr the only problem is my dad he says there dangerous and he trusts me he says that other drivers wont see me and I have no way to counter this everytime I bring this up he always gets very mad and says no, end of discussion. Help please.

·
Registered
286 Posts
rc10...looks like you have to wait till you are on your own...

or buy one behind his back and hopefully he comes around...you know, keep it at your buddy's place when you're not riding it...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Buy a dual sports maybe? See if they'd let you get an F4i?? Or something LAMS approved. idk, fight the system.
Or even like MXRida said, get a supermoto. They're hella fun. Only problem is they don't go far on a tank.

·
BOTM Winner 1/13
5,872 Posts
i thought i was young..guess not.
well mate, if they want you to get a cruiser, i suggest a Honda 250 Rebel.
and after months of comfort.. show them that you mature to able to get a sportbike..thats is you are?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I am turning 16 very soon and I would like to buy a sportbike I have ridden four wheelers and dirtbikes since i was around four and I was thinkinga 600rr the only problem is my dad he says there dangerous and he trusts me he says that other drivers wont see me and I have no way to counter this everytime I bring this up he always gets very mad and says no, end of discussion. Help please.
Look kid, your old man is (rightly) concerned for your safety. First thing is to find out why your dad doesn't want you to get one. Did he have a bad crash on one? Lost family or friends to them?

The only way you are going to be allowed to buy a bike is if you understand why he won't allow it then discuss it with him. Go over things like the type of bike you want to ride, where you plan to ride it, why you want to ride on the road, help him understand that you are mature enough for the kind of responsibility you are asking for.

And forget about getting a RR for now. Go for something older and smaller, much smaller.... think 125-250cc. I would almost bet my left nut that your old man would be a lot happier if you were on a CT110 as opposed to a 600RR. There is a lot less potential for your mistakes to happen at stupid speeds, and hence much lower chance of you killing yourself.

You should also discuss what your views on road safety are, things like fluro vests, bright helmets, protective clothing (leathers or textile), boots, gloves and so on.

How do you plan on paying for the bike to start with and can you afford the maintenance and more importantly the insurance?

Buying a bike isn't as simple a matter as you might think... discuss it openly with your old man, and if he can see how important to you it is then he will discuss it.

Lastly, abide by the decision that is made and make sure your mother is involved in it as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would second everything Nico mentioned. Figure out why your parents do not like sportbikes. I don't see experience being the real limiting factor since it just comes naturally from riding whether it be a cruiser or sportbike or dual sport or supermoto, etc. It may just be their perception that sport bikes are too fast for you even though in reality cruisers can go fast too. It could also be a negative perception of the sport bike crowd.

Whatever happens, you're making a good decision to start on a smaller CC, lighter bike. It will help both you get riding time in and them some time to get used to you riding on the street.

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts
I think I can comment on this. My dad has had a bike pretty much my whole life. I rode on the back of them since I was 5. Rode dirt bikes my whole life. The rule of ours was you have to drive a car for 2 years before you can get a bike. I don't think your dad is worried about you, he is worried about the other drivers. Think of all the distractions drivers do while they are supposed to be driving. When I was riding with my dad and he was pointing out people that were no paying attention it was eating, putting on makeup or reading/writing. Fast forward 25+ years Now this is taken to a different level. texting/phone/radio or trying to do all of them at the same time. It has become a very serious problem with society and I see it daily. Riders now have to look at road conditions as well as the other drivers on the road even more than in the past. I was always taught to have a way out of every situation. With more cars and more people not paying attention this is getting harder and harder. I would go about this slow. Maybe get your MSF license, see how your dad feels about possibly getting a track bike. You will learn 10 times as much on the track as you will in real road conditions. Controlled environment/safety is the main concern. Dirt and street are different. You don't have to look for all those cars when you are on the dirt, wondering if the person next to you sees you, stay out of this person's blind spot. The guy in front of me has had his turn signal on for the last mile. It's a lot to take on as a new driver and a new rider all at the same time. I know how you feel, I have been there but waiting is better. Being a father now I understand why my dad made me wait. You might think you are the best rider out now but get on the track and you will see you have a lot to learn. Puts things in perspective.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would take the MSF course if we had one because i live on an island in alaska(the weather isnt as bad as you think up here). I have around fifteen grand saved up since ive been saving since I was ten thats all ive wanted he knows im not stupid and trust me. I think what scares him is the other drivers for the most he says the dont see me i can understand that I even told him I would pay for our tickets and we could go to seattle and take the class together and he wont have anything to do with it. He had a brother who had a sportbike and some lady merged into him down in seattle on the freeway. I dont see how this affects me because there is nowhere for people to merge on this island. I have tried everything I can think of anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts