Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could the hive, please pro and con my list of gear i'm interested in getting. I've tried my best to explain why I want it, mostly due to the 90-100 degree heat here. If you know of a better or similar item or cheap buy on an item, please let me know.

ICON ARC Mesh overpants

SHOEI RF-1100- no link required.

ICON Pursuit perforated gloves- goat skin or some kind of leather.

Icon hooligan 2 mesh jacket- in bright green, I'm in the military and have to dress like a fool.

I haven't even got to looking at boots yet, I would prefer to ride casually in shoes, I usually wear my old black military style boots, sold my sidi boots a while back. and too be honest I didn't like the sidi boots I enjoy moving my ankle a little.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like A* 101's for boots. They cover the ankle and are comfortable. gloves look cool and they said they have good leather on the palm so I think they would be good.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Could the hive, please pro and con my list of gear i'm interested in getting. I've tried my best to explain why I want it, mostly due to the 90-100 degree heat here. If you know of a better or similar item or cheap buy on an item, please let me know.

ICON ARC Mesh overpants

SHOEI RF-1100- no link required.

ICON Pursuit perforated gloves- goat skin or some kind of leather.

Icon hooligan 2 mesh jacket- in bright green, I'm in the military and have to dress like a fool.

I haven't even got to looking at boots yet, I would prefer to ride casually in shoes, I usually wear my old black military style boots, sold my sidi boots a while back. and too be honest I didn't like the sidi boots I enjoy moving my ankle a little.

GEAR PREACH ALERT!!!!

If you enjoy moving that ankle, you should wear proper foot protection, if you go down your ankle will be twisting like a highschool boy at a slumber party, and you dont want that,

gaerne makes a nice boot,

as for your choices here are my opinions,

so the mesh pants will be okay, here is what happens to mesh when it is

rashed,

it will hold up in low speeds, you will just have to worry about the seams and it burning through, (melting)

the gloves you should really go with gauntlets to protect your wrist, that is the weak point and hinge, when your body parts are flopping down on the asphalt at 40mph, snapping wrists isnt fun, only the palm has goat skin, and well, here are some gloves,

caption of photo,
"Badly rashed hands. Full gauntlets gloves ONLY from now on."

as for the last jacket, seems like you have to wear something like that, I would go leather or kangaroo, it really offers the best protection,

good luck though to each his own, just be safe and keep riding,

all in all those are some good choices, they will protect you to a point as all gear will, no gear will fully protect you, or replace riding safe and common sense,

I like the red gloves, I might get me a pair for my bike rides,

Good to see your gearing up, thats the most important part,

take care!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
the Arc pants arent bad, compared to what else is out there and they're light enough that you're not going to just leave them in the closet.

helmet is great, everyone knows that.

those gloves arent worth much, they are pretty much guaranteed to wear out in a year and/or blow open when the hit the ground. spend some money on gloves, you will be repaid with something that lasts for years and years (oh, and they'll be protective too).

the jacket is somewhere you could improve, but i'm sick of talking about them this week.

as far as boots and you quote of "i enjoy moving my ankle a little"........... well.......... everyone here knows how i feel about boots. i think you're going to get a pretty strong suggestion on here for a full boot. and everyone that suggests one is completely correct.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
the Arc pants arent bad, compared to what else is out there and they're light enough that you're not going to just leave them in the closet.

helmet is great, everyone knows that.

those gloves arent worth much, they are pretty much guaranteed to wear out in a year and/or blow open when the hit the ground. spend some money on gloves, you will be repaid with something that lasts for years and years (oh, and they'll be protective too).

the jacket is somewhere you could improve, but i'm sick of talking about them this week.

as far as boots and you quote of "i enjoy moving my ankle a little"........... well.......... everyone here knows how i feel about boots. i think you're going to get a pretty strong suggestion on here for a full boot. and everyone that suggests one is completely correct.

listen to this man, he is surrounded by some of the best gear out there,

RS TAICHI, suits, jackets, gloves top of the line,

Puma boots FTW

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If mesh is so good why is it so popular? And on the market?

I have a 2 piece rs-taichi suit and had sidi boots, and i went down in them, rashed through cheap gloves, I know what your talking about. However, how is a gaunlet on my arm going to stop something hitting my palm/knuckles anymore than a non gauntlet glove.

I'm a little tired of looking like a power ranger, especially when i'm just going to wal-mart not the track...

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Gaerne Boots are what I'm rocking and other than the squeak I LOVE them.
moe just sent me some gaerne boots
i was walking around the apartment in my boxers and my new boots squeeking.
so i started to do the robot dance and squeek the boots to make me sound like a machine, the wife said i was far from sounding and looking like a robot :gun1:

Reactions: darkfader

·
Registered
8,768 Posts

I have a 2 piece rs-taichi suit and had sidi boots, and i went down in them, rashed through cheap gloves, I know what your talking about. However, how is a gaunlet on my arm going to stop something hitting my palm/knuckles anymore than a non gauntlet glove.

I'm a little tired of looking like a power ranger, especially when i'm just going to wal-mart not the track...

it allows things to be built better structuraly

makes the gloves harder to rip off

its not so much about the knuckles, its mow about when your hand slams into the ground, and the glove catches, how easy does it blow open, or remove it self from your hand

·
Registered
387 Posts
Gauntlets cover your wrists. Gloves just cover the base on your hand. When you do a push up, you brace using the base of your palms/wrists right? (imagine bracing yourself for impact from a fall) And if your sleeves ride up, w/ gauntlets you lessen the chance of exposing your wrists to the asphalt.

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
Gear is a choice. You decide when it's important. I never use mesh, ever but I do wear riding jeans on short trips and accept the risk. I wear all leather on weekend rides and at the track. I go to the track when it's 100+ and gear is like a big hug. Stay hydrated and rock and roll.

Gauntlet gloves stay on better, short gloves can come off then you have nothing.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts

well the alternative is to look like a mummy in the hospital if you go down.
there is def a trade off man.
this morning was nice to ride, i saw a guy in shorts, sandals( with a backstrap for safety) t shirt and sunglasses, he was riding a ninja 650
now, is it better to look like a powerranger, or a fuking retard squid?
i have my own answer, i will leave you to yours.

do you wear your seatbelt when you drive your car?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts

I think your first sentence is, if its not good correct?

I didnt say it wasnt good, I said it will not hold up after a certain speed, it will protect, just not as good as leather,

review what I said about gauntlets, I mentioned your wrist, and the weak point there,

the gloves you have up there offer plastic in the knuckles, next time you take a ride, take a plastic cup with you and throw it off on the freeway, it will melt and offer no protection to your knuckles,

a full gauntlet glove will protect your wrist mainly, I say get kevlar or metal for the knuckle protection,

but again, its your choice,

Id rather look like this

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/841/motivator4238074.jpg[IMG]

then go down and look like this,
ANY DAY!!!!

[IMG]http://motorcyclesafetynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/image0123-300x223.jpg

again bro, its your choice, good luck,

and I hope you never go down, and never feel the road,

take care!!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
spend some money on gloves, you will be repaid with something that lasts for years and years (oh, and they'll be protective too).
@ OP: the knox Biomech hand armor gloves for $200 are awesome. I wear them on the street and track. Excellent fitment, great value for money. IMO they are the best value for money glove available. Your hands are worth it.

Gear is cheaper than the hospital. Just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
@ OP: the knox Biomech hand armor gloves for $200 are awesome. I wear them on the street and track. Excellent fitment, great value for money. IMO they are the best value for money glove available. Your hands are worth it.

Gear is cheaper than the hospital. Just sayin'.

oh man I agree, the Knox gloves are AWESOme,

I want these though,

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I dont even want to post these, so I will just put them as links,

this is why boots are key
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mQt9nvfcD...0/5oTyL-joOoU/s1600/motorcycle+accident+2.jpg

and this is why you need a good pair of gloves
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgzqnvqot31qh7rsao1_400.jpg

and I will be taking the bus home, hahaha
damnnn... those pics are nasty. i would bet money that the hand in the second link never worked normally again. way too much muscle and meat is missing..

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
damnnn... those pics are nasty. i would bet money that the hand in the second link never worked normally again. way too much muscle and meat is missing..

Im with you, those were rough,

good luck all, GEAR UP!!!! It keeps us riding!!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.