Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here's the deal, i paid off my bank a month ago and still havent recieved my title. spoke with the bank today, they told me there was an issue with the odometer readout. they said the readout i gave them was wrong because it was less then what the title stated. so now the title is on hold at the dmv waiting to clear. long story short, the previous owner of my bike sold me the bike with the odometer reading 6800+ miles when in actuality the title stated it having 8975 miles. the problem here is that the title was issued to this guy back in 12/03. i bought the bike from him 5/04. you can see where it gets suspicious. i think i got ripped off. what do u guys think? what should i do? right now im waiting on the final say from the dmv before i confront him. thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
at first glance, i could see how this could be suspecious... :evil: but there could have been circumstances that may have lead to an incorrect odometer. he may have had to get the the instrument cluster replace for some reason or another, or he could have just ripped you off...

i'm not sure what to tell ya man. i hope it works out...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....true its only a couple thousand....but i was misinformed. info that might have swayed me from buying the bike in the first place.

....i thought about the cluster being changed, that just raises more questions. like why was it changed. was it wrecked? i was told it was never crashed...if thats the case, again i was misinformed....

....by the way im talkin about an 01 r6

thanks for the uber fast responses

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
i would give the bank the chance to deal with the
situation if their resolution does not offer you the
satisfaction then talk to the seller calmly you payed
for the bike already getting all pissed off about it
is not going to help is it let us know the outcome good luck ;-)

·
Registered
661 Posts
I havent had the problem.. but I remember reading quite a few people saying that have had to change their clusters just b/c they broke.. not cause they wrecked the bike... could be a possibility..

good luck man...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
almost600rr said:
ok here's the deal, i paid off my bank a month ago and still havent recieved my title. spoke with the bank today, they told me there was an issue with the odometer readout. they said the readout i gave them was wrong because it was less then what the title stated. so now the title is on hold at the dmv waiting to clear. long story short, the previous owner of my bike sold me the bike with the odometer reading 6800+ miles when in actuality the title stated it having 8975 miles. the problem here is that the title was issued to this guy back in 12/03. i bought the bike from him 5/04. you can see where it gets suspicious. i think i got ripped off. what do u guys think? what should i do? right now im waiting on the final say from the dmv before i confront him. thanks in advance
Well he obviously changed the cluster for some reason. He could have changed it out at about 2,200 miles. So it was either stolen then and changed out, or he had a problem with it and had to replace it. But if he had to replace it legitimately, why didn't he just come right out and tell you? What would be the big deal. "He man, the cluster screwed up on me around 2,200 miles so it reads a little less than it actually is." Now hearing this, would you have bought the bike back then? :headscratch: :nono: I know I wouldn't have.

I don't think the bike is stolen. I think he just didn't want to try and explain it. I mean, if the bike was stolen why did he sit on it for almost 6 months after he got the title? Maybe he paid the bike off, decided to sell it, and didn't want to run up the mileage so he disconnected the cluster and continued to ride it. :scratch:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'd say the odometer was replaced or changed. I can understand them investigating him, but why punish you by keeping the title. I don't think they should care they got their money.

It is kinda confusing. maybe I am just sleepy.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i don't think you have anything stolen man. i doubt it could've been wrecked either. you haven't noticed anything else messed up, and if it was wrecked bad enough to need the cluster replaced, more would have been messed up than just some replacable plactics and a cluster. just wait for the bank.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't know if this will work or not but you can always try and tell them that by accident the readings were in kilometer .

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lots of people have had the clusters changed and that is most likely the issue. Probably simple warranty work performed at the dealer. I wonder if you can call the local dealer and find out by giving them the VIN? Honda tracks work performed on bikes I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i agree most likely the cluster was changed, but him not telling me makes me think something shady is going on. if he did tell me, i sure as heck wouldnt have bought the bike! isnt there a law or something against selling to someone misleadingly? i could of swore i read something like that in law class. and doesnt your title get red flagged some way? like it will say the odometer readings are inconsistent? oh well, whats done is done...just waiting for further news from the bank before i do anything. i just wish i had the title because i already sold the bike and finally geting my RR! :D but thats another story. at least the guy who bought my bike isnt naggin for the title, he's been really patient and understanding....THANKS GUYS

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
getting the RR will be worth the wait and hassle that
you had to go thru once you go for the first ride all your
troubles will disappear

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah. What moeman said!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
moeman said:
getting the RR will be worth the wait and hassle that
you had to go thru once you go for the first ride all your
troubles will disappear
ah yes. well spoken. it's a great feeling, that first ride. and the second... and third... and... well, you get it. ;-)

·
Registered
405 Posts
call yamaha, if he did change out the cluster they should have a record of what the mileage was when he changed it. of course, i'm assuming he would've taken it in to an authorized yamaha service department.

the 04 1000rr has a recall for the cluster. when u take it in, they replace it with a new one showing 0 miles. but they will keep on their records what the exact mileage was on file for just an occassion like this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Same thing happened to me on the RR. The tripometer broke and wouldn't reset. Honda dealer gave me a new cluster with zero miles. :shock: To me its not a big deal, I don't turn around bikes as quickly as most people. I tend to like to keep em for as long as they'll run to get the most out of my investment. The hard part is remembering the correct service schedule.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts