Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another forum but thought it worth repeating

According to DMV statistics.......something like 90% of all motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle are “cars making a left turn in front of the motorcycle”.

When you see a car sitting there getting ready to turn left.......this should set off all the alarms. Slow down, get your hand on the front brake, start looking for your escape route.........and assume that SOB is going to turn in front of you.

I slow way down, make eye contact and live to ride another day.

Most of the drivers involved in the accidents say that they either “did not see the motorcycle”, or “saw it but figured that the motorcycle was farther away and that they had time to pull out”.

A bike is such a narrow profile from the front. Blending in with the background (even with your head light on) makes it that much harder to see, and this is assuming (A) that the driver is actually paying attention to the task of driving (most are daydreaming), (B) they can actually see......All those old folks in there Lincolns can barely see past the hood! and (C) they have some concept of depth perception and able to judge speed.

I hate to keep preaching this but......a head light modulator is one way to really put the odds in your favor. I have one on both my bikes and I know from experience that they work. People will start to pull-out and then stop when they see that high beam flashing. Old folks even pull over off the road when your following them (I guess they think you’re a cop, but who cares). On the freeway I watch people all the time give a double take in their mirror when they see me next to them.

These suckers work! Most of the cagers out there are idiots and brain dead (IMHO) but they do notice a flashing light coming at them and are usually surprised to find that your not a cop or emergency vehicle.......but simply a motorcycle.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the brand that I swear by. Small, easy to install, will not shorten bulb life, and automatically reverts back to stock after dark.

Whether you use a modulator or not........remember those statistics and assume that they don’t see ya. :hello: :hello: :hello:

modulator

·
Registered
585 Posts
I always ride with my high beam on, and I could care a less if it wears the battery quicker. A new battery is $50, not too much to pay for additional safety.

·
0 Posts
Can't you just flash your lights... Not dinging the idea I love it but wont flashing you highbeams do the same thing

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
TO ADD TO WHAT DALE HAD TO SAY:

When following another car with opposing traffic, always ride in the left most lane position so that those wanting to turn left can see that there is a bike following the car, keep your distance from the back of the car you are following as well.

Somone in the mods section was asking about YELLOW H7 BULBS as a way to increase visibility (That's why I went with the Yellow RR over the Black that I was planning on, That and it's faster)

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
5150in702 said:
Can't you just flash your lights... Not dinging the idea I love it but wont flashing you highbeams do the same thing
problem with just flashing your lights is many people mistake that for saying go ahead and turn. happened to me once, i'll never do it again.

·
0 Posts
BlueBlur said:
problem with just flashing your lights is many people mistake that for saying go ahead and turn. happened to me once, i'll never do it again.
But isn't that just what this module does??? Maybe i am confused, please correct me if i am wrong.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
the modulator is a higher speed flicker, probably 15-20 flashes per second. if you just flick your highbeams, it's different. imagine yourself at a four way stop and you flash to let the other person go first, that's what i'm talking about with just manually flashing them. the mod will constantly flash the light.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
i saw a BMW bike with one of these on the road. it definitely got my attention as we were going in opposite directions. i was scanning the road and then i saw the flashing (not an on/off flashing, it looked as if it had a loose wire that was cutting out.) and it grabbed my attention. very good idea on the modulator...

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
dale ^5
great advice man thanks for looking up for the roockies
and passing on valuable information

·
Registered
573 Posts
natecoop said:
i saw a BMW bike with one of these on the road. it definitely got my attention as we were going in opposite directions. i was scanning the road and then i saw the flashing (not an on/off flashing, it looked as if it had a loose wire that was cutting out.) and it grabbed my attention. very good idea on the modulator...

Saw the same, and yes it definately caught my attention.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The modulator is a small electrical component that plugs-in between the back of your high beam headlight bulb and its power connector. There is also a lead with a light sensor at the end, which regulates when the modulator operates. By law the head light modulator can only be used during daylight hours.

So.......during the daytime, if you flip your high beam on, it will automatically modulate between 18% to 100% brightness at 4 times per second. This only happens when you leave the Hi-beam ON.

At night the light sensor de-activates (for lack of a better word) the modulator so your high beam operates as normal.

The comment about simply flashing your high beam at a car by flicking the highs on-and-off is not the same thing. The modulator is designed to be continuously flashing, all the time while riding during the day. It’s a no brainer. People see the high frequency flashing ......and hopefully don’t run
you over.

Click on the link for details. link

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
2,009 Posts
Interesting part.... Might have to get one...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts