Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 2006 honda cbr 600 rr and the highbeam light is working great but the low beam light is not working. i changed the bulb but still dont get anything. the bulb is definetly good as well as the fuses, and i have never had issues with the wiring harness, everything else down to the signal lights and horn work perfectly, any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
sounds like a short somewhere.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i would just look over the wiring from the bulb to the fuse box and see if there is anything spliced open or cut.

As for the short in the wires, maybe something you can not see. I know of machines that can plug into the wires and test for shorts or connectivity. I dont know what they are called or where you can find them...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
hibeam light not working

hey i have a 2006 honda cbr 600 rr and the highbeam light is working great but the low beam light is not working. i changed the bulb but still dont get anything. the bulb is definetly good as well as the fuses, and i have never had issues with the wiring harness, everything else down to the signal lights and horn work perfectly, any ideas what it could be?
just to clarify, it is the high beam or low beam?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
sounds like the relay. or a lose wire. you cna bypass the relay using a jumper wire. you will need a wiring diagram.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Not very helpful!
That's because he doesn't know what he's talking about. (no offence intended bwolfe)

What you need to find is the OPEN circuit (ie broken wire)

First thing you should get is a multimeter, this is "that machine" you use for finding electrical faults, and they are cheap.

Have a look at the two plugs on the left hand side of your bike under the ram air covers, make sure there is no corrosion in them.

Next have a look at the high beam relay, you will find it between the headlights and you will need to pull the front fairing off to get at it.
Swap it with your fan control relay and see if your high beams work, if they do then you have found your problem.

Other things to look are are damage to the wiring harness, faulty switch and corrosion.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
That's because he doesn't know what he's talking about. (no offence intended bwolfe)

What you need to find is the OPEN circuit (ie broken wire)

First thing you should get is a multimeter, this is "that machine" you use for finding electrical faults, and they are cheap.

Have a look at the two plugs on the left hand side of your bike under the ram air covers, make sure there is no corrosion in them.

Next have a look at the high beam relay, you will find it between the headlights and you will need to pull the front fairing off to get at it.
Swap it with your fan control relay and see if your high beams work, if they do then you have found your problem.

Other things to look are are damage to the wiring harness, faulty switch and corrosion.
well first off, thanks Nico! I do know what a multimete is. I am not talking about a multimeter. That would be something i would be talking about if he was looking for a required voltage or maybe continuity. I am not talking aout him looking for voltage. I once had a short in my headlight assembly for my truck. I took my truck to the dealer and they plugged my light housing adapter into a machine. The machine checked my wires for frays, or shorts within the wire itself (under the shielding) and at the connectors. It couldn't tell me where the fault was, all it could tell me was that there was a short somewhere. I just bought a new wiring harness and it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
well first off, thanks Nico! I do know what a multimeter is. I am not talking about a multimeter. That would be something i would be talking about if he was looking for a required voltage or maybe continuity. I am not talking aout him looking for voltage. I once had a short in my headlight assembly for my truck. I took my truck to the dealer and they plugged my light housing adapter into a machine. The machine checked my wires for frays, or shorts within the wire itself (under the shielding) and at the connectors. It couldn't tell me where the fault was, all it could tell me was that there was a short somewhere. I just bought a new wiring harness and it worked fine.
Ok, now I know what machine your talking about - its called a time domain reflectometer... and you probably don't want to go buy one cause they aint cheap!

And I'm pretty sure you have open and short confused...

'Short' is a term used to describe a condition where two or more conductors are (normally) inadvertently connected together, such as when a wire is rubbing up against your frame, the insulation wears through and the wire becomes electrically connected to the frame. This is normally described as 'shorted to ground'

'Open' is used where a conductor has broken, or developed high resistance, such as when a wire is stretched and the conductor breaks, however the insulation may or may not. An open circuit can be described as not having continuity.

But yes, a TDR will check for open, short and impedance issues within a conductor, and tell you how far from the instrument they are.

You can do almost the same job that a TDR can do with a multimeter, it just takes a lot longer :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts