Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a question about installing a DDM Hid kit. I will be installing the kit on an 04 600rr. I have read the other posts describing the installation, and I understand the process. My question concerns the light dust cover on the 04 model. On my bike the dust cover is soft rubber instead of the hard plastic cover on the newer model bikes. The connectors on the HID kit that plug into the factory harness look like thay are made to be connected to the plug between the dust cover and the actual bulb. Just looking at the lights, it doesn't look like the factory plug is going to fit inside of the dust cover. Do I just re-route the HID plugs to the outside of the dust cover? Also, does anyone know which wire is the positive and which one is the negative?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You remove the factoy plug, then trim the lip off the rubber boot that fits around the stock bulb. The new rubber gasket/grommet with the DDM kit fits the opening perfetly. It looks 110% perfect.
The ddm positive is blue, the bike is black with a blue stripe.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. you trim the center lip off the rubber boot that fits around the stock bulb. The new rubber gasket/grommet with the DDM kit fits the opening perfetly. It looks 110% perfect.
Will the factory plug that you connect the HID wires to actually fit inside the rubber boot after after you fit the new grommet?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You remove the factory plug. The new bulbs have wires out of the bulb.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You remove the factory plug. The new bulbs have wires out of the bulb.
Now I am confused. The bulbs I am looking at have three plugs, two that connect to the ignitor, and one that connects to the actual ballast. There are also two wires, a positive and a negative, which are supposed to be connected into the factory plug that went onto the original bulb. The wires are actually between the grommet and the bulb itself on the HID lights. I just don't know if the factory plug is going to fit inside of the rubber dust cover.

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
Now I am confused. The bulbs I am looking at have three plugs, two that connect to the ignitor, and one that connects to the actual ballast. There are also two wires, a positive and a negative, which are supposed to be connected into the factory plug that went onto the original bulb. The wires are actually between the grommet and the bulb itself on the HID lights. I just don't know if the factory plug is going to fit inside of the rubber dust cover.
The factory plug is female and the HID kit has male connectors. If it's like mine, it uses spade terminals at the end of the wires, which slide into the factory female plug. The connections for HID bulbs and ballasts will be special and you can't possibly go wrong. (It's so easy a caveman could do it.) :icon_lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The factory plug is female and the HID kit has male connectors. If it's like mine, it uses spade terminals at the end of the wires, which slide into the factory female plug. The connections for HID bulbs and ballasts will be special and you can't possibly go wrong. (It's so easy a caveman could do it.) :icon_lol:
That part I understand, what I need to know is where did you actually hide the factory female plug after you connected it to the spade terminals. Will the factory plug fit inside of the rubber dust cover?

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
That part I understand, what I need to know is where did you actually hide the factory female plug after you connected it to the spade terminals. Will the factory plug fit inside of the rubber dust cover?
I wrapped the wires in black wire loom and stuffed the connector underneath the ram air covers on each side. It's a TIGHT squeeze, but they fit and you can't see the connectors!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
^ correct. But instead of keeping that huge hunk of plastic, I removed the wires from the factory connector.

***On that factory plug*** If you look closely, you can unclip the metal connectors out of the plastic connector housing without any damage to anything. Then you dont have to worry about hiding that huge hunk of plastic for two small wires.

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
^ correct. But instead of keeping that huge hunk of plastic, I removed the wires from the factory connector.

***On that factory plug*** If you look closely, you can unclip the metal connectors out of the plastic connector housing without any damage to anything. Then you dont have to worry about hiding that huge hunk of plastic for two small wires.
I would totally agree with doing it this way if you never were going back to regular halogen bulbs. I had thought about selling my bike at one point and of course I'd take my kit out. I'm keeping it now and it might be a good idea for me to clean up my wires a little bit.

Those were the answers I was looking for. Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!
Post pics after the install!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would totally agree with doing it this way if you never were going back to regular halogen bulbs. I had thought about selling my bike at one point and of course I'd take my kit out. I'm keeping it now and it might be a good idea for me to clean up my wires a little bit.

Post pics after the install!
I will try and get it installed this weekend.

·
Registered
407 Posts
AFP520, i did the same thing yesterday with my install.worked perfectly! and the two sided tape stuff they come with helps secure them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts