Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike usually hot idles around 1200-1400 rpm. But recently it's been idling at 2k rpms. This is on a hot engine. Also, the engine braking "FEELS" lesser, although I'm not sure about that. Usually on cars this indicates an overtightened throttle cable or a throttle plate that can't close all the way. Or an idle air valve. I'm not really sure where to look because servicing this bike is something I'm new too. Changing the oil and coolant was a big enough pain in the ass. Its a 2007 with a slip on and 12k miles.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Have seen this happen before when coolant was changed and pipes not cleaned to the Wax Unit ,Gunge collects in those pipes to and from the Wax unit and affects the Idle ,preventing hot coolant getting in to reduce the RPM, maybe worth a look

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have seen this happen before when coolant was changed and pipes not cleaned to the Wax Unit ,Gunge collects in those pipes to and from the Wax unit and affects the Idle ,preventing hot coolant getting in to reduce the RPM, maybe worth a look
I just dont think this is it. It ran fine after the flush. And ive serviced enough cooling systems to know which ones are sludgy inside, and which ones are clean. This bike was sludge free.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
Clean the IACV, could be stuck open.

Reactions: dixon cider

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How hard is it to clean the IACV? I've noticed this bike is a pain in the ass to service due to the fairings lol

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,912 Posts
does it only do it when the bike is in gear?

these bikes are programmed to lift the idle when in gear and the clutch is pulled.

so it could be a clutch switch issue as well. if it idles down in neutral then you may have your answer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
does it only do it when the bike is in gear?

these bikes are programmed to lift the idle when in gear and the clutch is pulled.

so it could be a clutch switch issue as well. if it idles down in neutral then you may have your answer.
No it does it in neutral too. Funny thing was when I filled up with gas and shut off the bike, it was high idling. Fill up, restart engine. Now its idling at 1200 rpm like normal. But as soon as I rev it up and let it settle again its back to 2000 rpm idle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pulled the FI fuse and powered up the bike for a minute to try to clear the ECU. I'm not sure if that is the right way to clear the ECU, but I didn't wanna have to unhook the battery and have to reset my clock. This didn't seem to fix anything. It seems like a vacuum leak of some sort. Any idea where these normally occur? The bike has been garage kept and hasn't been worked on recently, so I don't know where to look. No warning lights are on. Clutch cable has the right amount of play in it. Throttle cable is fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts