Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2007 Honda CBR 600rr and I am having idle issues. I was recently riding along this past fall and I noticed, when I came to a stop light, that my bike felt like a fuel pump was going out and the bike wanted to die. I took off and when giving the bike gas it felt fine. A few minutes later I noticed the idle was stable but abnormally high (2,100-1,900rpm). Unfortunately my bike has been this way for a few months now with no known fix. It still idles at about 2000 rpms and I notice when shifting that there is a hang in the engine rather than the engine instantly dropping the rev like normal. In an attempt to fix this problem I have changed the IAT sensor, put a new K&N air filter on, and attempted to reset the ECU by leaving the battery cables unhooked overnight. Any further ideas or help to remedy this issue would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Only 3 possibilities I can think of are:
1 glitch causing the ecu to think the bike is always stone cold.
2 idle air control valve on the throttle bodies
3 throttle cable doesn't have enough free play and is adding just enough throttle to add 500 rpm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only 3 possibilities I can think of are:
1 glitch causing the ecu to think the bike is always stone cold.
2 idle air control valve on the throttle bodies
3 throttle cable doesn't have enough free play and is adding just enough throttle to add 500 rpm.
1) Is there anyway to reset the ECU? I tried unhooking the battery and left it off overnight in an attempt to reset it but I cant be sure if it worked or not.

2) I need to check into this

3)I played with the tension and this doesnt seem to be the problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When is the last time that the spark plugs checked? if the throttle cable looks good, might want to check your fuel system as well. A lean or rich motor would explain the low and high revs, but what is causing this could be a larger list.

What was the last thing that you did to the Bike prior to the issue? oil change, coolant flush, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine did that. Then on the way to change to oil. It dropped back to normal. It made me think maybe fuel injectors were somewhat clogged. Bad gas?

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
2) I need to check into this
If it hasn't been messed with, it's honestly best to leave it.

When is the last time that the spark plugs checked? if the throttle cable looks good, might want to check your fuel system as well. A lean or rich motor would explain the low and high revs, but what is causing this could be a larger list.

What was the last thing that you did to the Bike prior to the issue? oil change, coolant flush, etc.
The ecu will run it rich IIRC if the MAF or MAP sensor (can't remember) indicates it's cold out...2k is what mine starts at then drops to ~1500 at around 143F

·
Registered
49 Posts
The ecu will run it rich IIRC if the MAF or MAP sensor (can't remember) indicates it's cold out...2k is what mine starts at then drops to ~1500 at around 143F
Yea I didn't want too get to crazy if it was something simple like plugs or injectors (not all that simple). But I agree, there could be an issue with engine temp sensor or the MAF. I had something similar happen to my GTO and it was a broken engine coolant temp sensor causing the computer to run weird.

I was hoping he would say, " Oh I just did xyz to my bike" and see if that spurs any potential causes/easy fixes.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Yea I didn't want too get to crazy if it was something simple like plugs or injectors (not all that simple). But I agree, there could be an issue with engine temp sensor or the MAF. I had something similar happen to my GTO and it was a broken engine coolant temp sensor causing the computer to run weird.

I was hoping he would say, " Oh I just did xyz to my bike" and see if that spurs any potential causes/easy fixes.
If the fan kicks on at 220 and the thermostat opens at 180 I don't think it's a temperature sensor, leaning towards the MAF because air is more dense at lower temps and unless extra fuel is added it leans out...I'm noticing more and more threads like this, maybe they were always there, but nevertheless. Also what I mentioned previously was just potential parts that could have that result...not that there is an issue with all of them, or possibly none...idk for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Potentially, I'm still figuring out what their Achilles heel is, no way so many people can have almost the exact same symptoms of a problem and the design of the part involved not have anything to do with it so instead of spending more on replacing parts see if they can be cleaned....my theory is they are getting clogged from either debris getting past the air filter or possibly oil from the engine making it up the breather since that does feed into the air box as well

·
Registered
49 Posts
Potentially, I'm still figuring out what their Achilles heel is, no way so many people can have almost the exact same symptoms of a problem and the design of the part involved not have anything to do with it so instead of spending more on replacing parts see if they can be cleaned....my theory is they are getting clogged from either debris getting past the air filter or possibly oil from the engine making it up the breather since that does feed into the air box as well
Agreed, If the sensor is dirty it could be reporting the incorrect values to the computer causing the issue. I would think that its time to break it down, give it a good cleaning.I did a quick search and found the air temp sensor for sale its only like $20.

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/oem-parts/honda/2007/cbr600rr/air-cleaner/sensor-assy.,-air-temperature/37880-p05-a00

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes it has been mentioned..

I wanted to take a second to thank you for all for the help. I am going to break into it this weekend and see what I can come up with as far as cleaning some sensors. When I replaced my air filter it was beyond ready for a new one so dirt in those areas is a definite possibility.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts