Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so in most tire threads I talk about getting high miles from supersport tires like pilot pures and Q3's. Lots of people don't believe, which is cool and all, and lots wonder what it looks like at that kinda mileage. So I thought I'd share a pic of my front Q3 after somewhere between 13-14,000 miles [gotta check my records at home for exact] and 2yrs were put on it. This was running 36psi at all times except for spirited canyon runs when I'd drop to 32. 95% of riding on this tire was to work and back. That is all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Lot of miles no reason someone should be only be getting 3 to 5k on the street..

Tire looks great could get some more mileage out of it.

Reactions: dixon cider

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
U slow down!

·
Registered
903 Posts
2700 miles on the Q3 for me on the rear of my FZ09. They stick really well, but longevity isn't one of their strong suite's when ridden at a brisk pace. The front lasted about 5200 miles and both lived their lives at 30/30 cold psi. and lots of mountain riding.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
High psi is the key. How squared off is it?
Its not. I never get fronts to square. The direct middle is like medium worn down. The areas directly between the middle and the shoulders are totally worn down, while the shoulders are hardly worn at all as I've done like no spirited riding in the last couple years on the street. I looked it up, this was at 14,220 miles. My last Q3 rear was like 9000 miles before chords showed, and those square a good bit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why not get a different tire if your just riding city and highway. There are cheaper options that guarantee more mileage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would usually have to change out my rear Q3 with every oil change (3,000 miles or less) and the front every other rear tire change. Love the tires!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not get a different tire if your just riding city and highway. There are cheaper options that guarantee more mileage.
I'm not concerned with mileage, especially getting this many out of a supersport tire. I'll take the traction and peace of mind knowing I can go whatever pace I want, when I want with these.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To get so many miles out a set of such aggressive tire I would speculate that you are riding very, very conservative. So I'm not sure where traction would come into play.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To get so many miles out a set of such aggressive tire I would speculate that you are riding very, very conservative. So I'm not sure where traction would come into play.
The canyon rides I do from time to time as I stated earlier? Like I said, having the traction available whenever I want or need it is a peace of mind thing.
To say he is riding conservatively is an understatement. I'd be curious to see what kind of mileage you would get out of a Pilot Road.
They'd dry rot before they actually wore out. Waste of tire and traction.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just thought of something. This is a very newbie way of thinking isn't it? If this was the rear tire, then the center will wear out quicker from hard accelerating. Hard riding, ie, leaning over in turns, won't do shi* for wearing the center out. On my front, the middles wore out first. That would make sence as I trail brake pretty much everywhere. I also like to make a game of how long can I wait to brake for lights, so I'm certainly not easy on the center section of the front tire. Not sure how riding harder would cause the front to wear any different except getting more miles out of it because of more time spent on the not much used shoulders?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The harder you ride the more heat that builds and holds in the tire. Rubber can only be heat cycled so many times before it starts getting hard. Track guys often swap tires long before the tread is gone because the tires have been heat cycled to many times and they no longer have the grip they should.

You said your tires are not squared off but if you're just doing gentle around town riding with only the occasional twisting riding there is no way your tires are not squared off, your never riding on the side of the tire to wear it down. I'd like to see a photo like the one above only tilt the camera up so you can see the top of the tire.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
lol what r u guys talking about? I swear people bash just to bash

Claps good job with the high mileage

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Oops, didn't realize the picture was with the front - yeah, those usually last a good 2x longer than the back.

I was thinking this was the rear, in which case no way! :drunk:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts