Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Modcake with sprinkles
9,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and found a lot of people saying how many miles on their bikes. But I want to know is ive been looking at some 06's and what is a normal amount of miles. I want to buy a solid bike but everything in my price range is 20k miles. Is that a lot if im not sure how much they baby it or is that no biggy and should run a lot longer?

thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have searched and found a lot of people saying how many miles on their bikes. But I want to know is ive been looking at some 06's and what is a normal amount of miles. I want to buy a solid bike but everything in my price range is 20k miles. Is that a lot if im not sure how much they baby it or is that no biggy and should run a lot longer?

thanks for the help guys.
Well, somewhere on this forum there is a guy with 100k+ mikes on his bike.

My bike just rolled over 23k miles a few weeks ago, and i bought it with about 22.5k.

It all depends how well the bike was maintnenced and treated. So, to answer your question. I dont believe 20k is a lot of miles, as long as it is taken care of. It is has been driven by an absolute idiot who dosen't know how or care to take car of it. Then yes it is a lot.

Just look at the bike and see if you can tell it's been maintnenced. Ask the owner questions, and if they seem to know what they are talking about maintnence wise, it's probably in good condition.

I just changed my oil a few weeks ago, and i found out there was no crush bolt on drain bolt. So, obviously some one did not care for the bike im riding like it's supposed to be. They also didn't change the sprockets and chain at 20k. But, i deal with what i am given (or bought in this case).

Edit: Also, the owner i bought it from didn't know when the oil was changed last. He only rode it about 1.5k miles then sold it, but still.

·
Modcake with sprinkles
9,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, somewhere on this forum there is a guy with 100k+ mikes on his bike.

My bike just rolled over 23k miles a few weeks ago, and i bought it with about 22.5k.

It all depends how well the bike was maintnenced and treated. So, to answer your question. I dont believe 20k is a lot of miles, as long as it is taken care of. It is has been driven by an absolute idiot who dosen't know how or care to take car of it. Then yes it is a lot.

Just look at the bike and see if you can tell it's been maintnenced. Ask the owner questions, and if they seem to know what they are talking about maintnence wise, it's probably in good condition.

I just changed my oil a few weeks ago, and i found out there was no crush bolt on drain bolt. So, obviously some one did not care for the bike im riding like it's supposed to be. They also didn't change the sprockets and chain at 20k. But, i deal with what i am given (or bought in this case).

Edit: Also, the owner i bought it from didn't know when the oil was changed last. He only rode it about 1.5k miles then sold it, but still.
great answer, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
great answer, thanks for the help.
No problem. I love sharing my, not so vast amount of knowledge. :crackup: I'm new to the riding scene, so I'll help with what i know!

Btw, if Demented speaks. Listen. Seems like all of his input is very reliable.

·
Registered
223 Posts
32k miles here. She's a track whore now. Regular oil changes, tires, a manual CCT, and preventative maintenances... should be good for 100k or more.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have something like 23K on my 03 when i sold it, all i ever done was a rectifier, sprockets, brakes, oil changes, tires, normal stuff....if you keep the mantanance up honda's will run forever.

I'm in the market for an RR again as i'm selling my 03 r6 to get the 03-05 600rr again for my g/f ( the mods i could do with that money instead :banghead: but at least she rides:+1: )

As mentioned if its been taken care of 20k isnt to much to worry about, check the chain, oil level, ask some questions about oil changes, brakes, chain/sprockets replaced, valves checks, etc...it'll give you a lil info on how well it was kept. that being said i would rock a 20k bike with no worries

i would much rather go with a 20k mileage rr than a 15k gsxr or r6, honda just seems to have fewer problems for the most part and better value. keep that in mind also if your not set on the rr yet.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Ha, there's a few over 100k on the forum and one closing in on 200k...
:study:

As long as it's been cared for and not utterly neglected and/or abused, don't even worry about it. They'll last a long, long, looooooong time, likely longer than you'll want to keep it. If it's a good deal and in good shape, buy it! Don't worry about the mileage

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
:study:

As long as it's been cared for and not utterly neglected and/or abused, don't even worry about it. They'll last a long, long, looooooong time, likely longer than you'll want to keep it. If it's a good deal and in good shape, buy it! Don't worry about the mileage

600rr love you looong time.

But on a serious note, i was told by a knowledged rider that your clutch will last basically forever if it's not abused. Is this right?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
600rr love you looong time.

But on a serious note, i was told by a knowledged rider that your clutch will last basically forever if it's not abused. Is this right?
They do last a long time when treated correctly, but that's with any clutch as well. FWIW mine is still on the original factory clutch... 199,700 mi and change and the clutch discs and plates are still in great shape. Changed the original clutch in my Accord at 321k and it wasn't even worn out or slipping, just a broken damper spring in the disc itself. It's all in how you treat them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts